Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Steering Stabilizer

Old 03-13-2013, 05:53 AM
jsl
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Stabilizer

Have a slight shimmy on highway when I hits bumps. No lift just TF leveling kit. 09 2 Dr Rubicon. Dealer says it is common in the wrangler and need to upgrade to a heavy duty steering dampener. Any suggestions. Would rather the advice of my fellow Jeepers on what to kit.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:04 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jsl
Have a slight shimmy on highway when I hits bumps. No lift just TF leveling kit. 09 2 Dr Rubicon. Dealer says it is common in the wrangler and need to upgrade to a heavy duty steering dampener. Any suggestions. Would rather the advice of my fellow Jeepers on what to kit.
There is no need for a new stabilizer if your is not leaking or blown or if your running huge tires. Get your tires balanced, check your tie rod and draglink for play and also check your trackbar and ball joints. Those are all things that will cause shimmy and wobbles. I had a wobble at 50-60 mph and it was my draglink that was causing it
Old 03-13-2013, 06:05 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The the main purpose of a steering stabilizer is to mask errors in your suspension system.

This usually means:
*Out of allgnment
*Check ball joints
*Loose draglink
*Unbalanced Wheel

---Or what he said ^

Last edited by Offroad_Elements; 03-13-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:17 AM
jsl
JK Enthusiast

Well ita only happens when I hit a bump at highway speeds. Kinda new at this. I also know I have a pretty good dent in my SS. Will climb under and take a look at everything. Can you suggest ss relocation bracket. Might be doing a small 2.5" TF lift this summer.Only running 33"

Last edited by jsl; 03-13-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:18 AM
JK Junkie

What they said ^
Old 03-13-2013, 06:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've encountered the same issues, mine was due to a blown shock. Check to see if your stabilizer shock is not blown. First time mine was blown, I did not catch it. I thought the oil on the floor was the water from the AC condenser. I'm on my 3rd stabilizing shock.. the last one only saw the perils that come with Mall Krawling.lol. I have to find out why i keep blowing them out. By the way mine is relocated and its the larger aftermarket one offered by Mopar, which I think is a re-branded Skyjacker Steering Stabilizers (Single shock model)

Last edited by NewOldSchool; 03-13-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:29 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If it's a bad steering stabilizer, look into upgrading to Bilstein...

Click image for larger version

Name:	BIL_24_158428__34096.1356024885.1280.1280.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	433386
Old 03-13-2013, 07:56 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by NewOldSchool
I've encountered the same issues, mine was due to a blown shock. Check to see if your stabilizer shock is not blown. First time mine was blown, I did not catch it. I thought the oil on the floor was the water from the AC condenser. I'm on my 3rd stabilizing shock.. the last one only saw the perils that come with Mall Krawling.lol. I have to find out why i keep blowing them out. By the way mine is relocated and its the larger aftermarket one offered by Mopar, which I think is a re-branded Skyjacker Steering Stabilizers (Single shock model)
The shock is there to absorb some of the road. Not to fix or hide problems with loose/warn components.

I advise you guys to watch Planman's vids and go over the front steering/suspension/tires.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LikeMike850

There is no need for a new stabilizer if your is not leaking or blown or if your running huge tires. Get your tires balanced, check your tie rod and draglink for play and also check your trackbar and ball joints. Those are all things that will cause shimmy and wobbles. I had a wobble at 50-60 mph and it was my draglink that was causing it
So with a lift and a rubicon we dint have to upgrade our steering stabilizer?
Old 03-14-2013, 03:18 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
The shock is there to absorb some of the road. Not to fix or hide problems with loose/warn components.

I advise you guys to watch Planman's vids and go over the front steering/suspension/tires.
Finally someone else who knows that nothing comes as standard equipment on a suspension that doesn't have to be there for geometric purposes.
All this BS people quote about the SS being there IN CASE something goes wrong....Yah like the factory equipped hidden parachutes in case you drive off a cliff and the retractable automatic snorkel if the water is too deep.

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizer