Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Steering wheel upside down after accident

Old 01-17-2015, 08:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel upside down after accident

I was making a left turn onto a 5 way street in Chicago and an old lady in oncoming traffic hit my drivers side tire. No one was injured and I didn't notice any damage to my JK. The lady managed to blow out her drivers side tire and got some tire marks on her front bumper.

Today I noticed in order to drive straight my steering wheel is completely upside down. Both front tires seem to be pointing outwards as opposed to being dead straight. I checked for bent components (tie rod, drag link, track bar) but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

My traction control light is on and the jeep drifts to the right when I let go of the steering wheel. The steering still tracks after making turns but it stays upside down at all times.

I am in the middle of the insurance dispute and just want to figure out what is wrong.

Maybe an alignment issue? Any ideas?:crazy:

Last edited by jawn_wong; 01-17-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check the steering box and drag link for damage. Also pull the wheels off and check the hubs and inner C's.I think more than a alignment prob.
I'd be careful if you try and adjust to straighten steering wheel. Damage to clock spring...

Last edited by Rebar-7; 01-17-2015 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In the meantime you can straighten out your steering and get the light off by adjusting the turnbuckle on the drag link. With the wheels straight, just loosen the two bolts and rotate the turnbuckle until the steering wheel is straight, then tighten them back up. But it sure looks like something is bent. Maybe bent a ball joint, spindle, or inner c? I would pull the wheel and inspect everything so it doesn't come apart on you while driving.

Last edited by 14Sport; 01-17-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Happened to me too. Ended up with a slight arc in my DL. Didn't look like much but it was enough to throw my steering wheel off about like yours.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drag Link doesn't need much bend to throw your steering wheel off.
Takes 5 minutes to straighten the wheel out, but I would also have my front end checked out.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:41 AM
JK Freak

You need to check everything. From your second picture it looks like you have pretty bad toe-out. A whole host of issues could casue this.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:34 AM
Former Member

So did the collision knock the license plate off the bumper
Old 01-21-2015, 10:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any front tire impact can cause a host of parts being bent, broken, or out of spec.

Like others have said:

1. Steering Box
2. Drag Link bent, Drag Link Ends damaged
(Drag Link length can be adjusted to recenter your steering wheel).
3. Tie Rod bent, Tie Rod Ends damaged
(Tie Rod length can be adjusted to set Toe, for stock tire approx. 1/8" less width front of tire than back of tire)
4. Front Knuckle
5. Front Ball Joints

The adjustments are pretty simple to do, you only need a 15mm socket/wrench, liquid wrench (if rusty), a vice grip/plummers wrench/channel lock pliers (if rusty).

Google "DIY Jeep JK Front End Alignment"

I would take pictures (current condition), reset toe (by shortening tie rod length), recenter steering wheel (by twisting drag link adjustment sleeve).

Then I would bring it to a reputable auto repair shop to have it looked at.

So who had the right of way?

Last edited by strat_53711; 01-21-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:22 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As said you looked toed out like crazy. Fix your tie rod and get that squared away before centering the steering wheel.
Old 09-05-2020, 07:51 PM
JK Newbie

Hi, have you fixed this? I just want to get more info, if you don't mind. Well, I'm asking after those years, cause I searched for some related to fixing threads.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel upside down after accident