Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Stock Sahara And wheeled it hard.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Sahara And wheeled it hard.

Who else on the forum wheels their stock sahara really hard. i have aftermarket rims with 4.5 of backspace. after trail riding on shell rock, and getting stuck in some light mud and water, my road ride has changed.

when i turn i feel grinding through my pedal. it seems like mud and grime in the hub or c components.

who else wheels their stockers hard and stuff seems to bend or grime up?
Old 08-08-2012, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jkjouster
who else wheels their stockers hard and stuff seems to bend or grime up?
This is going to happen with any vehicle you take wheeling, whether it is built or completely stock. If you're out in the mud, you should always clean the vehicle off, under the hood and under the body once you get home. Mud in the fans, alternators, axle tubes, brakes, etc. Leads to issues down the road. You're basically tossing an abrasive material into moving parts. Bending things because you've misjudged your angles, or taken into account your wheel base, or giving her a beat down is all part of what we do my friend. Its going to happen regardless of what vehicle you're driving. Parts always wear out, us Jeep owners just speed a long the process a bit :P
Old 08-08-2012, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

You need to go to a car wash and get underneath and really clean the underside and inside of wheel and get the mud off. Should take care of it
Old 08-08-2012, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the advice,

still wondering who wheels the hell out of their stock sahara with stock tires. i ave yet to have an issue, just wondering what i should expect in the long run.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

It only takes 1 mud hole to ruin brake pads calipers rotors and ebrake if not cleaned out properly. Known from experience. Mine was a stock X that I wheeled the hell out of, then traded for a rubi.

Last edited by Detonatorunlimited; 08-08-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Any mud left on the inside of your wheels will get stuck on the inner casting indentations and can cause your ride to run unbalanced. I know yours sounds more like a noise issue so I would just start by cleaning everything out thoroughly. Get yourself a pressure washer and lay on the ground and clean your undercarriage as best as possible and as soon as you can after a run. Good luck
Old 08-08-2012, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Even a little bit of mud stuck on something rotating can cause huge vibrations.
I have a stock 2 dr Sahara and hit moderate trails with no problems so far. My front bumper took a hit and has some scuffs, i ripped off the air dam after that. I did take the side steps off and put on some rubi rock rails. Might as well take them off when they are in one piece and try and get some $$ for them.
I'm in TX and there isnt much mud this time of the year, so it's mostly been hard packed dirt trails and a LOT of dust.

Quick Reply: Stock Sahara And wheeled it hard.