Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stock Wrangler X

Old 01-23-2008, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, the traction control really helps... but it's still not locked up.

i think the bottom line is that it's a wrangler, it's better than just about anything other than a better equipped wrangler.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:06 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Stock tires and lift in an X (did have TF QDs for some of this, and I do have LSD):

The Rock Garden at Disney, OK (running with the Rubi's, JackMacOKC guiding):

Following Armycop's Rubi down a steep hill at Disney, OK:

Okay, Armycop and Torn took a much tougher route in their lifted Rubi's--but this is where everyone else went at Disney, OK!

Stock tires at muddy Stanley Draper Lake--No problem!

Okay, this is where we had to turn back at Stanley Draper Lake. But notice: JackMacOKC's Rubi didn't get much further!

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 01-23-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi folks,
I have a totally stock 2D JK, 6spd. In 4L it will go places that I can't walk. I met my own "envelope" before the JK met hers! I won't go "rock crawling" as that is NOT what I bought her for. I do enjoy trail running with MINOR to MODERATE mud holes but none of that extreme stuff the younger folks do.
My advise to you is to go out with freinds that you trust to not get you in over your head and work your way up slowly until you know where you want to call it your limit. Don't rush it...hopefully you'll own your JEEP for a long time and can gain experiences slowly! Take care... Mike
Old 01-23-2008, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well said.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

thanks for all the input. if anyone has anymore ill be glad to take it
Old 01-24-2008, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

before I upgraded the tires on my JK, I took it out with the stock 225 tires, and was impressed on how well it actually climbed some steep rocks, and plowed through mud without slipping getting stuck, or any other negative results. cant waitt o go try it out with the new tires, and when I get the electronic swaybar disco installed (yes im that lazy ).
Old 01-24-2008, 12:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Embalmer
before I upgraded the tires on my JK, I took it out with the stock 225 tires, and was impressed on how well it actually climbed some steep rocks, and plowed through mud without slipping getting stuck, or any other negative results. cant waitt o go try it out with the new tires, and when I get the electronic swaybar disco installed (yes im that lazy ).
The smallest tires on the X now are about the same size as the biggest tire available on the TJ. soo....
Old 01-24-2008, 01:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayland1985
The smallest tires on the X now are about the same size as the biggest tire available on the TJ. soo....
Well, didn't the tj rubicon still have 32's? I agree with you in general, though the most basic tj package really looks like a gas tank dragger.

I agree with most here in saying the x can do a lot of things you can do with the rubi. But in the enviroment the rubi was geared towards, the x will tap out first. The brake assisted traction control has it's limits & so does LSD. If you hit the rocky, off camber three & two wheeling type terrain those lockers really start to shine.

On the other hand for me I start weighing the potential for damage against the number of years I expect to own this thing & I end up bypassing some things I probably could have gotten through. I was amazed at how well the x unlimited dragged itself across high centers on big levels in VA.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ge99ne
Well, didn't the tj rubicon still have 32's? I agree with you in general, though the most basic tj package really looks like a gas tank dragger.
The TJ Rubicon came with 245/75R16's which are more like 31's (technically more like 30.5")....I think that's the size that comes standard on JK's now, or maybe even the 255/75R16.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mdantonio
Hi folks,
I have a totally stock 2D JK, 6spd. In 4L it will go places that I can't walk. I met my own "envelope" before the JK met hers! I won't go "rock crawling" as that is NOT what I bought her for. I do enjoy trail running with MINOR to MODERATE mud holes but none of that extreme stuff the younger folks do.
My advise to you is to go out with freinds that you trust to not get you in over your head and work your way up slowly until you know where you want to call it your limit. Don't rush it...hopefully you'll own your JEEP for a long time and can gain experiences slowly! Take care... Mike
Stock X is awesome if you ask me. This advice about choosing a good club is perfect. I was out this last weekend and I arrived in time to see a stock JK with a newbie break his new ride (while being pressured by his rowdy club). You just have to choose your line and in the end you'll gain real experience. That will get you farther than a lifted ride.

Oh, he punched a hole in his front diff and ripped off his track bar mount trying to take a pretty rough rock patch, that no one else was willing to take.

Quick Reply: Stock Wrangler X