Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stolen Keys

Old 07-25-2013, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stolen Keys

So I took my son to the local waterpark last night and some asshole decided to steal my bookbag which had my keys, two towels and my season passes in it. Thankfully nothing more. I have a separate key but I'm concerned that since this dick has my season passes, he has a name, which means he can locate me and steal my stuff. I'd like to think this is an isolated thing and they got nothing of value so dropped it but the opposite could be that petty thief decides he's hit the big time with a set of keys so i think i need to rekey everything. Anyone ever had this done to their jeep and know what it takes, costs, etc.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I think they can rekey the computer chip. The stolen key could still open your jeep but it would not start the vehicle.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default it's expensive

talked to the dealer, to get everything rekeyed they wanted $60 to reprogram the key i have, $50 dollars per new door cylinder which would operate using a different key, $14 per new key, $30 dollars labor per cylinder to key the new cylinders to the new key and $100 dollars labor per door to replace the cylinder. Total $628 and that doesn't even get me a spare ignition key and if i wanted to have the ignition keyed the same as the new door cylinders which would be cost me an additional $400. What a rip off. They did say that if i wanted to remove the existing cylinders my self then they would just rekey those but even that at $30 per cylinder labor and a $14 dollar new key would set me back $104 bucks plus the $60 bucks to have the existing ignition key reprogrammed. Oh and that doesn't even include my wife's minivan which doesn't have a chip key so i'd have to replace all the cylinders and the ignnition cylinders on that. So, I think i'm just gonna get them to reprogram the ignition key only and not keep any valuables in the jeep, assume no one wants to steel a minivan and and remove the garage door openers. Changed all the locks on the house last night. What a pain in the ass for what was supposed to be a fun night out with my son and for something that is probably much ado about nothing.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JKJeremy
talked to the dealer, to get everything rekeyed they wanted $60 to reprogram the key i have, $50 dollars per new door cylinder which would operate using a different key, $14 per new key, $30 dollars labor per cylinder to key the new cylinders to the new key and $100 dollars labor per door to replace the cylinder. Total $628 and that doesn't even get me a spare ignition key and if i wanted to have the ignition keyed the same as the new door cylinders which would be cost me an additional $400. What a rip off. They did say that if i wanted to remove the existing cylinders my self then they would just rekey those but even that at $30 per cylinder labor and a $14 dollar new key would set me back $104 bucks plus the $60 bucks to have the existing ignition key reprogrammed. Oh and that doesn't even include my wife's minivan which doesn't have a chip key so i'd have to replace all the cylinders and the ignnition cylinders on that. So, I think i'm just gonna get them to reprogram the ignition key only and not keep any valuables in the jeep, assume no one wants to steel a minivan and and remove the garage door openers. Changed all the locks on the house last night. What a pain in the ass for what was supposed to be a fun night out with my son and for something that is probably much ado about nothing.

That blows Man.......losers & oppotunists are everywhere these days! Maybe a locksmith can do part of it for less?
Old 07-26-2013, 07:44 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Notify your insurance company they may foot the bill. Otherwise I would take a chance on it being random and if they steal your cheap you can get a new one.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:46 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

you might also ask at the pool if the stuff got turned in. Maybe somebody grabbed the bag by accident if they had the same one.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

You could always install a hidden kill switch under the dash for a couple of bucks!
Old 07-27-2013, 04:48 AM
JK Newbie

Default move on

It was probably some kid hoping that there was money in the bag. He took the bag because of opportunity. it is some petty thief, not a car thief. When he realized there was no cash, and that the seasons pass would be turned off/ reported stolen, it was all probably dumped in the trash.

He had the keys in hand and didn't steal your car then.

Recode the keys and move on. don't change the cylinders. If I'm totally wrong he steals your car and ugly minivan and insurance gets you a shiny new one.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by valovic
It was probably some kid hoping that there was money in the bag. He took the bag because of opportunity. it is some petty thief, not a car thief. When he realized there was no cash, and that the seasons pass would be turned off/ reported stolen, it was all probably dumped in the trash.

He had the keys in hand and didn't steal your car then.

Recode the keys and move on. don't change the cylinders. If I'm totally wrong he steals your car and ugly minivan and insurance gets you a shiny new one.
Yeah...... If he wanted your rig you would have not found it in the parking lot. Recode the key and hope for the best.

Quick Reply: Stolen Keys