Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Strong Gas Smell / Dealer can't find anything wrong

Old 09-02-2015, 02:21 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Until the problem is solved you may want to reconsider parking it near anything you cherish....like the house. Gas fumes blow houses up when inside. If you smell gasoline or propane or natural gas anytime while in your house you are at serious risk. Park it outside until the source is found. Let some dude steal the problem and blow up his own 'hood.
I'd be talking with the folks that changed out your tank for the fuel burp problem. Tank was never the problem but made them extra warranty bucks. It was an issue with the fill tube check valve.
Just thinking with all the extra work they did on yours that there's way more places that could possibly be leaking than should be.
Yah like everyone can come up with a thousand places on the fuel system that could leak.....you said they changed out your tank....

Last edited by 101gargoyles; 09-02-2015 at 04:32 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'll be checking everything on my 2007 as well. I can smell gas when my tank is full as well. It's not leaking anything, just like yours.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fact that the tank was changed out, and the smell seems stronger when full and on that side, makes me think it may be a gasket or fitting on top of the tank.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yankee
The fact that the tank was changed out, and the smell seems stronger when full and on that side, makes me think it may be a gasket or fitting on top of the tank.
x2 on this ^^^. The tank is on the opposite side from the fill hose. I'd bet it's something in the area where the high pressure lines connect to the tank. That would also explain not seeing anything dripping onto the ground. Unfortunately you'll probably have to drop the tank to find it, though.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

I know this is old but I just had a really bad fuel smell everytime I got into my JK. Long story short. I traced it to a broken fuel injector and bad o-rings on a couple of the other ones. New O-rings & one new injector and the problem is gone. Less than $100
Old 10-12-2017, 05:38 AM
JK Newbie

Old thread here, but my 2008 JK is currently in the shop. Smell of gasoline off and on last 2 weeks, ever since I filled up tank at new local WaWa. NO leaks visible anywhere, but when my son crawled under it the other day to see if could find any leaks, the smell was very potent there.

Shop did a smoke test last night (best way to find source of fuel odor), and discovered the gasket on top of gas tank leaking. So tank will be dropped and gasket resealed this morning. Thus no visible leaks were found.

She's only got 36,000 miles and not related to any off roading. Anyone have ANY idea what could cause this? Shop has no clue. Could it be some kind of additive in the gasoline that caused damage to the gasket? Never gassed up at any WaWa before in my life. Stranger things have happened ...
Old 12-05-2017, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

Following this as I have a smell on my 07 too.
Old 11-03-2020, 05:10 AM
JK Newbie

Default Possibility

Work at a shop and had a vehicle with the same issue. Dropped tank and saw no visible leaks. Removed the sender lock collar and found hairline cracks at the sealing surface. Suspect when tank is full this causes gas seepage enough to cause smell.

Rust can be seen in underside

Last edited by Kevin Hunt; 11-03-2020 at 05:16 AM.
Old 11-06-2020, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my 07 has the same problem and has for several years. Its intermittent so it's been very hard to find.
Old 11-11-2020, 09:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2008s have the issue as well.

Quick Reply: Strong Gas Smell / Dealer can't find anything wrong