Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Summer is comeing! A/C Problem, Transmission Over Heat.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Summer is comeing! A/C Problem, Transmission Over Heat.

Hey, Everyone

OK, I know there has been lots of threads on the subject of Bad A/C. Then theres the trans overheating in the automatic. I have noticed this in mine. I have even posted on mine on the fact that the fan and steam coming out. I just what to share my thoughts and if you have any knowledge please add them.

I Have had mine to over heat out on the sand at the beach. I was dirveing on flat ground. I had this happen twice in 2 days. But noticed that when i turned the air off it seemed to get a little better or if i had the A/C on Max.

Many of you out there have the SUCKY A/C. I am like all of you out there. I normally try and start the jeep a few minutes befor i head out. Well normally it is not even cooled off in the jeep. I have been to school for auto systems. I had a class in A/C.

I have noticed when the jeep sits it never has a fan running while in idle. In class we where told that the A/C system has to have air flow to have it work at peak performance. When testing the system we would always put a hugh fan in front of the vehicle. I have tested many in class.

Ok here is what i noticed, the TJ had a metal fan that ran on a slip clutch. Well the JK does not a slip clutch, It has elec fan. In idle the TJ fan spins at a low speed but still pulls air over the condinser and radiator. The JK does not have a manual fan but should have a two speed fan. My thoughts it should work as the TJ fan.

But to my dismay it does not. It seems mine never goes in to low speed mode. This would act like the fan we used to push air for the A/C to cool. Well as I say the one on my jeep the fan does not run on Low speed mode that I can tell. I do notice that the fan comes on in high mode the A/C seems to work better at idel. NOw if your going down the road my jeep will get cold as ice. Now if i stop in traffic, I might as well roll the window down.

I have taken the jeep to the dealer many times for poor A/C. They test it and it passes. Well to pass the test, It just need to have 10 degrees of differance form out side air. If it is 98 out side if the A/C puts out 88 degrees it is working correctly. To me this is not working, I belive it should do better then this. I think the fan should run in low speed and cool the air down more.

On to the the trans overheating. if the fan would run in low speed mode it would not over heat. The air would flow over the radatior. This in turn would save the transmission.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my friend your Jeep seems to be going through the same issues as my Jeep that i have just turned into lemon Law case....

in my case the fan circuit shorts out and blows a 60 amp fuse associated wit hthe fan and eventually the motor burns up and I have no fan... there is a circuit from the computer that controls the low / high speed drive to the fan's resistor pack which is located right up by the fan itself... the connector has 3 wires going in and then 2 going to the fan...

that resistor pack goes bad ver yeasily and also does the drive from the computer... if the 60 amp fuse blows it will trip the Service engine light... of the resistor goes bad it will not...

since you have high speed but no low speed I would first try testing the resistor pack.. if thats not it.. it is the drive from the PCM that is bad for low speed... warranty service should cover it.. and yes your jeep will overheat wothout low speed and the A/C compressor will eventually be damaged if continued used all the time this way...
-Christopher
Old 01-20-2009, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about getting a tranny cooler for the trans
Old 01-20-2009, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, I was banking on that answer. Mine is still barley under warrenty but I am going to pick parts up from the dealer tomorrow. I'll get one of the techs to check it. It has done it since it was new. I do a lil work on it but, I'll let them fix that instead of my idea of an over ride and make low speed run on a switch. Thank you again, Now i got a lil more to work with when I walk in. haha not like they dont already know me by name.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NYJKGUY
How about getting a tranny cooler for the trans
I have thought about it. At this time I do not have the money to add one. I only go out on the sand about twice a year. Then its a mall crawler. When the fan ran I did not have the problem. But it seems if it ran there would be no problem. My fathers Taco had no problems. Running a Hydro fan.

Quick Reply: Summer is comeing! A/C Problem, Transmission Over Heat.