Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

taking doors off

Old 09-05-2012, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just remember the more and more times you take them off the easier they slide on and off
Old 09-06-2012, 04:16 AM
-

wow. lots of advice. thanks everyone!
Old 09-06-2012, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also make sure when you are lifting the door that you lift it from the balance point of the door otherwise you could bind the pins and that will make it almost impossible to lift the door off.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

To protect paint Wrap the tool minus the torx head with electrical tape, upon re-installation use some never seize (a little bit goes along way)
Old 09-07-2012, 02:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Drsekelsky
To protect paint Wrap the tool minus the torx head with electrical tape, upon re-installation use some never seize (a little bit goes along way)
I put the big rectangle fridge magnet with my dentists address on it on the side below the hinge to protect the paint. Got the idea some wear in the forum. Works well
Old 09-07-2012, 09:18 AM
JK Newbie

I have an 07' Rubi and live in the snow/salt belt. Every spring the only way to get my doors off is to take the hinges off at the body and then work them off of the door. Pretty easy to do and they are easy to get lined back up. Then a little emery cloth and some grease keeps them moving freely until the next spring.

Tried the jack thing....bent the bottom of my door (wasn't paying attention to my assistant)
Old 09-07-2012, 09:54 AM
JK Newbie

Listen to the guy who use's his thigh. It works every time. Sometimes I lay a rag on my thigh cause if their real stuck it kinda hurts.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ruby Tuesday
Also make sure when you are lifting the door that you lift it from the balance point of the door otherwise you could bind the pins and that will make it almost impossible to lift the door off.
and make sure you are lifting straight up. i know that sounds pretty obvious, but that seems to be the only time i ever have any trouble really. sometimes you are lifting up but a little in towards the jeep or a little out away from the jeep. wiggle it a little and lift it straight up. no floor jacks necessary

Quick Reply: taking doors off