Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Taking soft top down alone

Old 05-23-2009, 05:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking soft top down alone

Hey everyone, I am just wondering if anyone has a trick to taking the soft top down on a 4 door by themselves. I tried it once and I just looked liked a fool. I always get someone to help me fold it back. Any tips or tricks out there?

Thanks
Old 05-23-2009, 05:49 AM
JK Freak

Practice, practice, practice...

The first few times I took it down solo I felt like a fool. Now its a snap!
Old 05-23-2009, 06:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For down - fold the front section over first, then stand on side steps or inside rear door and push it down into trunk, it should collapse and fold itself. Once down, lift it up slightly with one hand, and push the rear sails under the collapsed soft-top.

For up - stand on the rear seat, grab the metal front header, and pull it up over you to the front.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:07 AM
JK Freak

thanks, i will be trying it shortly, we will see how it goes!
Old 05-23-2009, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

As said before, it will just take some practice! You'll mainly have to go back and forth side to side to get it folded perfect, but you'll get it!

As for going back up, I stand in the tailgate and just lift and then that at least throws it right where it needs to be, and use part of the frame bars to lock it into the sunrider clips (that's if you have the sunrider).
Old 07-22-2009, 05:55 PM
JK Newbie

I have had my jk for 3 years this fall and never put the soft top on..... until today!
I will be trying these techniques as soon as the sun comes out this week. Anyone know of pictures or video showing taking the top down and back up alone? BTW the owners manual is NO help at all!
Old 07-22-2009, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greystonejk
I have had my jk for 3 years this fall and never put the soft top on..... until today!
I will be trying these techniques as soon as the sun comes out this week. Anyone know of pictures or video showing taking the top down and back up alone? BTW the owners manual is NO help at all!
Stand in the middle of the back seat.
Fold it up/ down 1/2 way by locking it into the latches in the middle of the front and rear seats.
When dropping it, open the tailgate a little so it does not come down on the brake light (sometimes it gets stuck there if you don’t).

Oh, and the manual is no help because, like all manuals, it was written by individuals who have never done the task.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by westchester
For down - fold the front section over first, then stand on side steps or inside rear door and push it down into trunk, it should collapse and fold itself. Once down, lift it up slightly with one hand, and push the rear sails under the collapsed soft-top.

For up - stand on the rear seat, grab the metal front header, and pull it up over you to the front.
Originally Posted by bostonMA
Stand in the middle of the back seat.
Fold it up/ down 1/2 way by locking it into the latches in the middle of the front and rear seats.
When dropping it, open the tailgate a little so it does not come down on the brake light (sometimes it gets stuck there if you don’t).

Oh, and the manual is no help because, like all manuals, it was written by individuals who have never done the task.
Like They said. I stand in the back seat over the rear cup holders. Push up on the middle bar and rest it on my head while I fold the top. Since I'm tall I then grab the pieces of webbing that stick out and guide the top down. Then fold in the corners. do the same thing for putting it up. Pull up the webbing and latch the bars into the hooks. Pull the front bar over my head and then duck.

Last edited by abock33; 07-22-2009 at 06:33 PM. Reason: missed a few spaces
Old 07-22-2009, 06:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, stand in the middle.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Down alone... no problem. Up alone.... not so much fun. I can have mine down and stowed properly alone, ready to drive in 8 minutes.

Quick Reply: Taking soft top down alone