Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Thermostat housing failure

Old 05-18-2012, 01:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat housing failure

If you are smelling antifreeze when you stop and get out of your jeep this might be something you will want to checkClick image for larger version

Name:	100_1071.jpg
Views:	1496
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	318485Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1068.jpg
Views:	1573
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	318489
Old 05-20-2012, 04:39 AM
JK Newbie

Bump..........
Old 05-08-2013, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

I just found mine doing this tonight in about the same location. Go figure F'ing plastic.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. Looks like it's on the back-side?

Any chance this could get confused with the lower intake manifold coolant leak? I'm 99% sure I have that.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

Bump...

I found mine leaking about 4 months ago, but no overheating and once the level gets down below there...not much leakage. I decided to replace it today, along with a new thermostat and gasket. (95,000 miles) Removed mine and it is cracked in almost the EXACT place, length, etc. Must be a common mfg flaw. With the right tools, changing it out took about 30 minutes and no leaks. I lubed my new seal with silicone grease (dielectric grease has many uses), shoved it into the new housing, dropped the bolts in and torqued it to about 100 in lbs by feel.

BTW, I'm new here. Haven't been on any forums for years, but I just don't have any gear heads to share my achievements with anymore. I need to find some cool kids to go wheeling with.

Later!
Old 01-17-2015, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Macwrench
Bump...

I found mine leaking about 4 months ago, but no overheating and once the level gets down below there...not much leakage. I decided to replace it today, along with a new thermostat and gasket. (95,000 miles) Removed mine and it is cracked in almost the EXACT place, length, etc. Must be a common mfg flaw. With the right tools, changing it out took about 30 minutes and no leaks. I lubed my new seal with silicone grease (dielectric grease has many uses), shoved it into the new housing, dropped the bolts in and torqued it to about 100 in lbs by feel.

BTW, I'm new here. Haven't been on any forums for years, but I just don't have any gear heads to share my achievements with anymore. I need to find some cool kids to go wheeling with.

Later!
Just curious... Do you have any pix of the t-stat? I'm trying to find out if it's made into the housing or separate. also, what is the temp rating on said t-stat.

Thanks.
~Bill
Old 01-17-2015, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hafaday
Just curious... Do you have any pix of the t-stat? I'm trying to find out if it's made into the housing or separate. also, what is the temp rating on said t-stat.

Thanks.
~Bill
I can get a pic tomorrow for you. It's rated at 195F. When you say "housing" are you talking about the thermostat housing / water neck? It's not part of the water neck. It's held into it by the rubber seal.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Macwrench
I can get a pic tomorrow for you. It's rated at 195F. When you say "housing" are you talking about the thermostat housing / water neck? It's not part of the water neck. It's held into it by the rubber seal.
Cool. Thanks
Old 01-17-2015, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was getting a whiff of coolant on my 2014, but seems to just be coming from the overflow vent(I hope it is). Just started noticing it last week. are you guys talking about the 3.8?
Old 01-18-2015, 06:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Dodge4me
I was getting a whiff of coolant on my 2014, but seems to just be coming from the overflow vent(I hope it is). Just started noticing it last week. are you guys talking about the 3.8?

Yep, mine is the 3.8.

Quick Reply: Thermostat housing failure