Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Thinking of a 2011, critique my specs please

Old 08-19-2010, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of a 2011, critique my specs please

Can't believe I'm considering it but thinking of selling my '10 JK Sport 2-d (6 spd, hardtop, A/C, with under 5k miles) in favor of a 2011 4-d, mainly because I want a more stable tow vehicle for a future trailer, and honestly could use the additional seating spot (3 in rear instead of 2) for the family and little more cargo room... and gives me the chance to configure it exactly as I wish. Tried VERY hard to convince myself to find a way to make my current 2-d (which I LOVE) work for the trailer, but it's just not a good idea given the specs. Considered a heavy duty tow vehicle but in the end decided can't have two; must have only one, and 4-d could be the one that does it all - fun, tow, offroad, DD, simple, etc.

Uses: Mostly daily driver; snow driving in New England winters; occasional mild off-roader but not hardcore; tow vehicle for 19' trailer probably approaching the 3500 lbs. max tow limit. I love my setup with my current JK 2-d, so will definitely be going with 6 speed and 32" Cepeks (will retain my current wheels/tires and swap the brand new ones onto the 2-door before selling).

Tried finding 2010's in my desired config but they just aren't out there.

Here's the setup I'd aim for:

2011 JK Sport 4-door
A/C
Hardtop (freedom top)
Limited slip rear diff
6-speed manual
3.73 gears instead of default 3.21's (on my 2d, I have 3.21 with 32" tires, good but not perfect. 3.73 will help w/towing too)

Definitely plan to add Teraflex leveling kit (as I have now), love what it does for the 2-d and works well with the 32's. I do NOT plan to go larger than 32" in the future.

I'd opt to NOT get the trailer tow group, as I already have an aftermarket hitch on my 2-d that I can easily take off and put on the new one; same for the plug-and-play wiring harness; and I can just add 3.73 gears for MSRP$50 instead of paying $320 for the tow package. I don't get the "sway control" but been fine without it on other vehicles... and do have a brake controller I will add.

Comments? Criticism? I know it comes down to personal choice and uses but wanted to do the sanity check; maybe someone else with tow/haul experience can offer suggestions for options I haven't considered.

Last edited by mostlystock; 08-22-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 06:04 PM
JK Freak

if you want to get totally hosed on your two door i might be interested for my daughter
Old 08-19-2010, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

pig. that didn't come out right
Old 08-19-2010, 07:29 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Brashanic
if you want to get totally hosed on your two door i might be interested for my daughter
So you are trading your daughter for a 2 DR?
Old 08-19-2010, 08:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Thinking of a 2011, critique my specs please

Wow I just sold my 2009 that has pretty much those specs.. in favor of me going back to a 2 door.. althiugh mine was soft top

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2010, 04:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
Wow I just sold my 2009 that has pretty much those specs.. in favor of me going back to a 2 door..
D'Oh, we could have swapped!
Old 08-20-2010, 06:23 AM
JK Newbie

Let me preface this by saying - I'm new...

My only question is about the limited slip.

Is there really a value in having it? I genuinely don't know.

When I bought mine it didn't have it - which I later thought was a huge mistake. After talking with a local offroad shop, they said I would be better off getting a locker.

THEN I read an article by some of the Jeep engineers that said that the electronic stability control already works similar to the limited slip by engaging the brake on the tire that is not receiving any resistance.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Oh, and buy a tan one. The tan is nice!
Old 08-22-2010, 03:18 PM
JK Newbie

I just bought a used '07 Sahara with 29k that looks, drives & smells new for ~10k under sticker for a new one. Since there are really no differences beside the hardtop revision in '09. I'd really look hard at a used one. Lot's of people buy them because they are cute & never take them offroad. I looked at several, a few had been dogged, but the vast majority were in like new condition with low miles, garage kept.

I would add limited slip to your option list.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have your Trailer tow your JK

Old 08-22-2010, 03:37 PM
JK Super Freak

I have 4:10's in my Rubi with stock 32 inch tires and when towing I could use more gear ratio.

Just keep this in mind. I have not towed the same TT with our 4 door yet as I need the 7 pin wire harness to do the brakes. So I cant give a comparison yet.

Quick Reply: Thinking of a 2011, critique my specs please