Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

thinking about taking a dealership to Court

Old 03-30-2011, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking about taking a dealership to Court

I bought an 07 2dr 6 speed back in the middle of december, if any of you can remember, this thing has been a nightmare since the second month. I love the jeep and I will continue to drive jeeps as long as I live; however I have had it with my dealership.

It all started with the gas tank recall, no big deal, but my dealership wouldnt touch it because they are a toyota dealership. Had to take it somewhere else, paul baileys in North Kingstown RI, absolutley great dealership, but they do not take aftermarket warranties so when my clutch stopped working I had to take it back to the original dealership.

So I took it back, found that the slave cyl. blew and leaked into my clutch assembly, they wanted $1200 to fix it. I found it crazy that they were blaming me for blowing out a clutch 9000 miles into ownership. I have only ever driven standard transmissions, and never had a problem. I had them replace the slave and clean out the assembly, for which they charged me $400, I was going to replace the clutch myself with my fathers assistance in PA.

The transmission whine that started about a month before the clutch blew was still happening, (after being told it had to do with the clutch) and so it whined allllll the way down to PA. Had my dad take a ride with me (he was a mechanic for almost 30 years and now is a service manager at a audi vw dealership) what he found was interesting, no problems with the clutch, but the whine was coming from gearbox. His advice, take it to a jeep dealer in PA and have then diagnose.

So at this point I am not pissed about anything, I understand maintenance Items not being covered under the warranty, I will get this "powertrain" problem fixed no problem. My jeep has been sitting at the jeep dealer in PA for the past week, they had to wait for a warranty inspection.

Today I get a phone call from the Jeep Dealer in PA, letting me know that my transmission fluid is 1.5 quarts low, and because of this my warranty will not cover the actual problem. They also said there is no sign of leakage, and I have not touched any fluids down there because it was all supposed to be inspected prior to them putting the vehicle on the lot.

So this is where I stand now, dad says to take it back to the selling dealer, tell them to fix it. If they don't do anything for me, take them to small claims Court to have them buy the car back.

I apologize about the rambling, but has anyone gone through something like this? and what was your outcome?
Old 03-30-2011, 08:37 AM
JK Freak

man sorry to hear about all this i hope you get everything worked out
Old 03-30-2011, 09:15 AM
kik
JK Freak

You can forget about the clutch. However, low fluid with no leaks is different. I would make an issue with this with the dealer that sold it to you.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kik
You can forget about the clutch. However, low fluid with no leaks is different. I would make an issue with this with the dealer that sold it to you.
x2, take it back and see what they say. Then go from there.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:38 AM
JK Newbie

yea i am not worried about the clutch. They diagnosed the clutch problem and totally overlooked the transmission whine. Either way, if they dont fix the problem they created, court may be the only option.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Have you put a call out to Chrysler to see what they have to say? Yeah, it is the dealer's fault but if the dealer failed to do a proper inspection before selling the vehicle then Chrysler needs to jump down someone's throat about this and fix things for you. This really is a crappy situation you're in.
nah, I have not put a call out to chrysler.... just wondering though, what do you think they would do to a toyota dealership? haha... I honestly feel like that could be a waste of time, I don't really think they have anything to do with a toyota dealership not fulfilling their multipoint inspections that they claim they do to all pre owned vehicles sold
Old 03-30-2011, 07:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanMcCall
I bought an 07 2dr 6 speed back in the middle of december, if any of you can remember, this thing has been a nightmare since the second month. I love the jeep and I will continue to drive jeeps as long as I live; however I have had it with my dealership.

It all started with the gas tank recall, no big deal, but my dealership wouldnt touch it because they are a toyota dealership. Had to take it somewhere else, paul baileys in North Kingstown RI, absolutley great dealership, but they do not take aftermarket warranties so when my clutch stopped working I had to take it back to the original dealership.

So I took it back, found that the slave cyl. blew and leaked into my clutch assembly, they wanted $1200 to fix it. I found it crazy that they were blaming me for blowing out a clutch 9000 miles into ownership. I have only ever driven standard transmissions, and never had a problem. I had them replace the slave and clean out the assembly, for which they charged me $400, I was going to replace the clutch myself with my fathers assistance in PA.

The transmission whine that started about a month before the clutch blew was still happening, (after being told it had to do with the clutch) and so it whined allllll the way down to PA. Had my dad take a ride with me (he was a mechanic for almost 30 years and now is a service manager at a audi vw dealership) what he found was interesting, no problems with the clutch, but the whine was coming from gearbox. His advice, take it to a jeep dealer in PA and have then diagnose.

So at this point I am not pissed about anything, I understand maintenance Items not being covered under the warranty, I will get this "powertrain" problem fixed no problem. My jeep has been sitting at the jeep dealer in PA for the past week, they had to wait for a warranty inspection.

Today I get a phone call from the Jeep Dealer in PA, letting me know that my transmission fluid is 1.5 quarts low, and because of this my warranty will not cover the actual problem. They also said there is no sign of leakage, and I have not touched any fluids down there because it was all supposed to be inspected prior to them putting the vehicle on the lot.

So this is where I stand now, dad says to take it back to the selling dealer, tell them to fix it. If they don't do anything for me, take them to small claims Court to have them buy the car back.

I apologize about the rambling, but has anyone gone through something like this? and what was your outcome?
How many miles are on your JK ? Also, did the original sale (07) come with a lifetime powertrain warranty? It's amazing how these dealerships love to find anyway possible to "not do the right thing"!

My wife just leased a VW CC and she is covered BUMPER to BUMPER for duration of lease, to include free oil changes, tire rotations/balancing and road side assistance. Sorry to stray, but Chrysler boggles my mind!
Old 03-30-2011, 07:34 PM
JK Freak

yea i dont know wut theyd do about a toyota dealership, thats y u call toyota about it, no matter wut car toyota sells on its lot they should check the fluids just like any other car, jeep, truck etc, so yea id call toyota if i were you,

Quick Reply: thinking about taking a dealership to Court