Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tightening Bolts After Off-Roading

Old 04-29-2012, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tightening Bolts After Off-Roading

Hi all, just went off roading again yesterday and had a blast! Nothing sounds, nor feels loose under the Jeep, but I have read/been told I am supposed to tighten up bolts after each time I go off-roading. Does anyone know which bolts I should be checking for tightness? This is the second time I took the Jeep off road (bought it Feb 19, 2012). Thanks!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Never heard anything like that before, but if you wanna check bolts i'd say control arms and trackbar. I don't see the point though
Old 05-01-2012, 05:21 PM
JK Newbie

I read that tread.you shouldn't need to tighten everytime.maybe if you did some serious offroading.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I do if I notice anything feeling a little "loose" in the front end or any shimmy. Most often you will find trac-bars loose but some people find their control arms and also their sway bar links work loose. Anything that flexes or rotates can work itself loose while off roading
Old 05-01-2012, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-02-2012, 04:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Battery restraints. If they go loose and fall out your battery gets smashed to pieces and it's game over. And you get acid all through your engine bay. It really burns when you rub up against it while workin on your rig.
Also sometimes wheel nuts come loose.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its never a bad idea to get underneath your rig after wheeling to check everything out before you head back onto the road.

This past weekend i found one of my sway bar links had loosened on the axle side and was making abit of noise when I was offroad, tightened it back up and its all good now.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just noticed a slight banging sound in the rear if my rubi. Took 10 mins to find. Wires came loose in the tail gate fixed with a zip tie in 2 mins. So check wiring is still secure after wheeling in obvious areas under bonnet, and body after wheelling.

Quick Reply: Tightening Bolts After Off-Roading