Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tire Storage

Old 11-18-2010, 03:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Storage

Im getting new tires and want to keep my stock rubi tires incase I need to take it to the dealer for something important, and specifically for the 5 year lifetime waranty inspection...

Anyone know the best way to store the tires long term? An important fact is that the tires will have to be stored outside due to space limitations. They will be behind my shed in a spot that is shady all year round and will be covered with a tarp
Old 11-18-2010, 04:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep them off the ground on a pallet or something. Shade is good, you don't want the sun to be eating into them.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

An important fact is that the tires will have to be stored outside due to space limitations.
Unfortunately that's about the worst place to store them. UV rays & moisture are the two elements which will degrade the rubber most. There's no way for you to find somewhere inside? ... an attic or crawlspace? But if you must, I'd seal them individually in black plastic garbage bags.

Regardless, make sure the tires/wheels rest on their sides (horizontally). You can even stack them up on top of one another. But don't let them rest vertically, lest they end up getting flat spots.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bag them in heavy duty plastic bags. Get some dissicant bags (Like the tinybags in electronics) to eat up the moisture (I think they sell them for Corvette storage for the interiors and they are larger) and put it in. I think even like ACE hardware or True Value had some anti moisture stuff and it would be cheaper. I agree that if you can, get them inside somewhere.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:15 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Will the tires be on rims? It makes a difference.

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...torage_en.html
Old 11-18-2010, 08:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Will the tires be on rims? It makes a difference.

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...torage_en.html
Ya, I plan on leaving them on the rims...

There is really no room inside anywhere...and I only plan on ever using them to drive to the dealer and back. I thought about bags, but I figured a tarp would be better so I didnt trap moisture inside

I do have a deck box filled with firewood...maybe if I get rid of that they can go in there...
Old 11-19-2010, 04:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Since you will only put them on when you go to a dealer for something 'special' I wondered if you have a buddy that's stock. Maybe someone with an X or base Sport that would like to have your take offs.

Maybe you could sell them to him and make him a good enough deal that he'd let you 'borrow' them when you need to go in for that special service appointment.

Just a thought. That would put some cash in your pocket and solve your storage issue and wouldn't create any more of a swap out problem than having to move them off the ground to your Jeep.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:50 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They'd be on your car out in theelements so off the ground and covered will be fine for your inspections. I wouldn't get too crazy.
Old 11-19-2010, 05:01 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by phantomandy
Since you will only put them on when you go to a dealer for something 'special' I wondered if you have a buddy that's stock. Maybe someone with an X or base Sport that would like to have your take offs.

Maybe you could sell them to him and make him a good enough deal that he'd let you 'borrow' them when you need to go in for that special service appointment.

Just a thought. That would put some cash in your pocket and solve your storage issue and wouldn't create any more of a swap out problem than having to move them off the ground to your Jeep.
It would be twice the work, at a minimum.

That would be a giant pita to coordinate with the other owner.
I know I wouldn't want to remove my tires every time the guy that sold them to me wanted to go to the dealer.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:41 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ideally, I would try to make room in the shed as it would be dry and shady! If you can't then for sure get a pallet to set them on and cover with a tarp. Don't place the tires directly to the ground due to moisture from the soil. Before storage I would wash them up good and add some tire cleaner or 303 protectant to the rubber before storing.

Quick Reply: Tire Storage