Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

top questions

Old 07-20-2009, 05:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default top questions

I am looking to buy an Unlimited, and i have a few questions. Bieng as i live in wisconsin i think i need the hard top for winter. i would like a soft top for summer. does anyone have any experience with aftermarket tops, or should i look for a Jeep with the factory dual tops? any input would be appreciated.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do you want a full soft top during the summer, or more of a bikini top?

I went with the hardtop and added a bikini/duster after market.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

i am not sure. my main concern kepping the elements out with an aftermarket soft top. , i just think that the hardtop will be needed in the winter due to snow and not having a garage to park it in
Old 07-20-2009, 08:25 AM
JK Newbie

i had an old TJ with just the soft top. it was not fun in the middle of a northeast winter. i got the hard top on the new JK and couldn't be happier. it's a whole different jeep. much quieter, and more comfortable, and much easier on the plastic windows in teh winter. it's a bit more expensive to do it all up front, but if you can swing it, i think you will be happy. some of teh aftermarkets have better prices, but you also have to then add the wiring harness and run electrical (unless you buy the hardtop now and get the ST later i guess).
Old 07-20-2009, 02:15 PM
JK Newbie

It gets cold in the northeast. I think getting both tops is the way to go, if you have the cash.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:11 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

You can buy it with the hardtop, then find someone here on JK-Forum selling their softtop. Going price for new/almost new is $500-600. That will save you about $1000.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:19 PM
JK Newbie

Speaking of tops, will a 2007 or 2008 Freedom Top fit my 2009 2-door?

Trending Topics

Old 07-20-2009, 03:36 PM
JK Freak

I opted for the Hard top, not because of the cold ( I understand the Soft tops hold heat quite well ) but mainly the security and didn't want to deal with the zipping of the window's at the Drive - thru's in Winter.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:50 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by sniper41
We only have the soft on ours here in Jersey. My wife hates the cold, by the way, but always wanted to drive the Jeep because the heat KICKS ASS in it and comes up to temp really fast. She took the Jeep over the Explorer any time she could. The "new tops" really aren't bad! IMHO!
I second that......When I bought my JK I didn't even think about a hardtop. I've just ALWAYS been a softop fan. My heater does so well that I have never had a problem staying warm up here, even at -40 below. I imagine a hardtop would be nice in the winter, but it wasn't a deciding factor that's for sure. I'm just old school that's all, and a jeep ain't a jeep unless it has a softop.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I originally wanted a hard top and had planned to buy a bikini top or a soft top later. But the stealerships in the area only had soft tops when I bought my JK (which just had its 3 year anniversary in my driveway).

I couldn't be happier with the soft top only either! My friend who has had jeeps for decades but never a JK was amazed at how quiet the JK soft top is. I still look at hard tops, but mostly because I never put the soft top all the way down anymore, just open the sun rider part.

Quick Reply: top questions