Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tow Package - Receiver but no Hitch and Ball?

Old 01-12-2007, 05:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Package - Receiver but no Hitch and Ball?

I got the tow package and have a beautiful Receiver. I do not have a hitch and ball though, is this normal?

Also for a stick it says towing capacity is 3,500 lbs but this looks like a class III receiver to me which can tow much more than 3,500lbs.

Any thoughts????
Old 01-12-2007, 06:07 AM
JK Freak

You never get the slip and ball.. Always a seperate puchase.. As for towing capacity 3500# is calculated based on power, wheelbase, and weight of vehicle.. It may be a Class III hitch.. meaning the hitch its self can handle the weight but the Jeep cannot.. I personally tow approx. 5000# with no problems..
Old 01-12-2007, 06:08 AM
JK Newbie

Yes, it is normal to not get anything but the receiver in a towing package. Most packages include different gearing, trailer light connections and better cooling. I would have to look at a window sticker or the website to see what jeep includes.

A class III hitch is rated for 3500 without a weight distributing hitch. I would not recommend towing past what the owners manual states. Towing capacity has much more to do with braking and hurting driveline parts than staying attached.

Be careful towing things that are anywhere near that with a light (relatively) vehicle like the JK. Trailer brakes are also probably required depending on local laws.

Have fun.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nmjk
Yes, it is normal to not get anything but the receiver in a towing package. Most packages include different gearing, trailer light connections and better cooling. I would have to look at a window sticker or the website to see what jeep includes.

A class III hitch is rated for 3500 without a weight distributing hitch. I would not recommend towing past what the owners manual states. Towing capacity has much more to do with braking and hurting driveline parts than staying attached.

Be careful towing things that are anywhere near that with a light (relatively) vehicle like the JK. Trailer brakes are also probably required depending on local laws.

Have fun.
I have the towing pkg with auto and 4:10 gears (18'' wheels OEM) - do you know if the radiator is different than a stock JK?
Old 01-12-2007, 08:32 AM
JK Freak

All radiators are the same...
Old 01-12-2007, 08:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 1BADJK
So the towing pkg is no more than the hitch and automatic w/ 4:10's?
Old 01-12-2007, 08:38 AM
JK Freak

The towing package will add 4.10's and a D44 in the rear if it doesn't already have it.. Well worth it.. I believe Jeep has dropped all D35's on future vehicles.. So basically your getting 4.10's..
Old 01-12-2007, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1BADJK
I was wondering about that-- my JK came with the tow package for free (when it was found via inventory search the tow package wasn't listed, so I didn't pay for it), and it appears there's a transmission cooler along with the radiator.

However, the sticker doesn't list a transmission cooler as part of the tow package. So it must be part of all JKs, with or without the tow package.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:51 AM
JK Super Freak

I do have the Dana 44 in the rear - with 4:10's - can i get the OEM locking rear axle after the fact? And how about the sway bar disconnects?

Quick Reply: Tow Package - Receiver but no Hitch and Ball?