Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tow Package - Receiver but no Hitch and Ball?

Old 01-12-2007, 08:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by britjk
I do have the Dana 44 in the rear - with 4:10's - can i get the OEM locking rear axle after the fact? And how about the sway bar disconnects?
A buddy of mine was going to do the same thing. he called and got a quote for adding the Rubi's rear locker set-up along with the electric Disconnect and the price was so out in left field he decided to wait for the aftermarket..
Old 01-12-2007, 09:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks. I guess I'm lucky that I have had my JK for 6000 miles while everyone else is still waiting.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

For most vehicles, the radiator is the same for the towing package. What I was saying covers tow packages in general. It usually is not the radiator that is upgraded, but the tranny cooler. On my F350 I even had a brake fluid cooler. Bottom line is don't tow past the vehicles limits unless you want to hurt it. Manufactures sometimes push this number just to be competitive. I personally would never tow 5000 lbs with a jeep. Your asking for it and definately would need trailer brakes. You never know when someone will slam their brakes or pull out in front of you.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nmjk
For most vehicles, the radiator is the same for the towing package. What I was saying covers tow packages in general. It usually is not the radiator that is upgraded, but the tranny cooler. On my F350 I even had a brake fluid cooler. Bottom line is don't tow past the vehicles limits unless you want to hurt it. Manufactures sometimes push this number just to be competitive. I personally would never tow 5000 lbs with a jeep. Your asking for it and definately would need trailer brakes. You never know when someone will slam their brakes or pull out in front of you.
You are correct about being properly equipped.. I am running trailer brakes and a custom load ballancing hitch.... 40% is having the proper equiptment the other 60% is knowing how to tow....
Old 01-12-2007, 08:03 PM
JK Newbie

Question Tow Package

Can anyone that already has their JK with tow package verify which trailer plug it comes with? Is it the flat 4 or the 7 way RV style? I prefer the tow package if it comes with the 7 way but my salesman said it was only a flat 4 so I ordered mine without. I have a pop-up camper with trailer brakes is why and if it's just a flat 4 then I'd have to rewire anyway. I'm already a little ticked at the salesman for other things that I've found that he either "doesn't have a clue" or don't care. Sure is bad, it's my 4th vehicle from this dealership. Too bad my original salesman no longer works there. I've found out more about the JK here, thanks to WayofLife and Don-A-Vee, than from the salesman ....
"Wow, I didn't know that, ha ha" At least since mine is a Rubi I already have the D44/4.10's and since it's a 6 spd I shouldn't need a tranny cooler. I've already got the Mopar Plug-n-Play harness and hitch coming.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:58 AM
JK Super Freak

It is the flat four.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:20 AM
bfl
JK Newbie

Default towing

does jeep sell the hitch and ball?
Old 01-13-2007, 07:38 AM
JK Freak

They probably sell the hitch and ball but just go to Walmart and pick one up that meets the proper drop or lift that you need for your trailer.

The reason they don't include it is because there is no universal. I have four different ones that I use with my truck. Sure they could give out adjustable ones but then they would have to double the price of the tow package.

You should be able to get the ball you need and the receiver slide of the correct drop or rise for under 20 bucks.

Bryan
Old 01-13-2007, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check out different autoparts places for whatever ball and reciever slide you need. If one doesn't have it someone else will.
Never buy stuff from the dealers unless it just can't be gotten any where else.
Dealers put WAY too much of a mark up on everything they sell

Quick Reply: Tow Package - Receiver but no Hitch and Ball?