Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Towing with the JK

Old 06-24-2011, 07:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing with the JK

I'm about to purchase a 19ft Ranger bass boat and plan to pull it with my '10 Sahara Unlimited. Single axle trailer with surge breaks. 3300lbs combined weight (boat/trailer). 350lb tongue weight. All within the factory limits but darn close to the max.

Wondering what folks have experienced when towing with similar setups.

I had a '01 Z71 before the Jeep. Experienced with towing even heavier setups. But never got so close to the much higher max limits of the Chevy.

Thanks
Old 06-24-2011, 07:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a 19 foot Tahoe. I suspect it's around 3000lbs loaded up.

It tows fine up to 60mph. If you try to keep the speed at 70mph you will get some downshifting at overpasses. Any sort of hills & you will need to turn off the overdrive.

I've never had any tail-wagging, but I must say the Tahoe is well-balanced on its trailer.

Originally Posted by SBryantKY
I'm about to purchase a 19ft Ranger bass boat and plan to pull it with my '10 Sahara Unlimited. Single axle trailer with surge breaks. 3300lbs combined weight (boat/trailer). 350lb tongue weight. All within the factory limits but darn close to the max.

Wondering what folks have experienced when towing with similar setups.

I had a '01 Z71 before the Jeep. Experienced with towing even heavier setups. But never got so close to the much higher max limits of the Chevy.

Thanks
Old 06-24-2011, 08:01 PM
JK Freak

I have a 2 door with a 3.5 inch lift and 35's and I pull my 16 ft Xpress boat no problem, but I don't go over 60 mph with it
Old 06-24-2011, 08:13 PM
JK Freak

20' thermoglass, no brakes on trailer,2 dr, 6 speed, 4" rc, 37s and stock gears no problems up to 60- 70 mph after that a little tail shaking but minor.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:27 PM
JK Newbie

Finally got brave enough to try my rig as well. The boat is a 2001 24' 5.7L Deckboat weighing in around 5500lbs wet weight. Took the jeep for a spin around the neighborhood to try her out, and was really impressed. As reference, I have been towing boats since I could drive. The Jeep had plenty of power for pulling and stopping below 35mph. Very similar to the 4.6L F150 I use as my tow vehicle. As my bravery increased, I loaded the jeep up with five friends, and the boat and headed to the lake. This is where the story changed a bit. With the extra weight in the jeep, I felt a change in her handling. The back end felt a bit loose when my speed increased to around 50mph (downhill only). In my ten mile drive to the lake, I drive down a moderately hilly two lane country road. The speed limit is 45mph, I would try to get around 50-55mph at the top of hills to assist the jeep in getting past the upcoming hill. I also found drive 2 also helped in the lower speed range going up hill. As for the jeeps power at the lake ramp, no problem. My lake ramp is a bit steeper so the back wheels barely got wet when backing up. One problem I found was that I couldn't see anything when backing the boat down the ramp. I turned around and all I saw was boat...not what I'm used to when using the f150. Took me a bit longer to put the boat in the water using the side mirrors. I guess Chrysler didn't intend for people to have much of a view when looking backwards.

All in all, its is possible, but I felt like it was a lot less work using the truck.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Make sure you have the correct drop length on hitch so the trailer angle us correct (most of the weight should be centered on trailor wheels). Otherwise the ass end will swing back and forth with too much tongue weight.

If you have an automatic, shut the overdrive off. Also recommend you get a secondary trans cooler if you don't already have one.

If you have a manual, like me, just keep it under 65 mph and you should be fine.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:56 AM
JK Freak

I have a 2011 SeaDoo RXT-X & I defiantly notice it back there...I can't imagine towing anything bigger than that like most of ya'll! You can see in this picture how my towing experience goes...
Old 06-25-2011, 06:09 AM
JK Super Freak

13.6 is good

Try towing with a diesel, same or worse gas mileage. Sure it pulls easier, but gas mileage is bad no matter the rig.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:40 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by lopezv123
Make sure you have the correct drop length on hitch so the trailer angle us correct (most of the weight should be centered on trailor wheels). Otherwise the ass end will swing back and forth with too much tongue weight.

If you have an automatic, shut the overdrive off. Also recommend you get a secondary trans cooler if you don't already have one.

If you have a manual, like me, just keep it under 65 mph and you should be fine.
To be a little more specific, about 10% of the total trailer weight should be on the tongue.

I don't know about more than that causing it to sway, but I do know less than that will bring on trailer sway. The lighter the tongue weight, the worse it gets.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

i have a 2010 JK Mountain. I tow my Stingray 180RX which is 18' it toes fine, and pulls fine up the ramp as well.

Quick Reply: Towing with the JK