Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Towing question

Old 09-10-2008, 07:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing question

I have 07 2 dr x that i pull a trailer with during hunting season. I usally have (2) 4 wheelers on the trailer, ToTal weight maybe 1300lbs. I try to balance the load on the rear of the jeep. Sometimes the jeep just feels like its bottoming out on the right side all the time.. The local dealer has checked it and says everything is ok. I have researched several suspension lifts and i just not sure which one to purchase. There are to many options. I don't do alot of wheeling. I have the stk rims and 245/75r16 tires mud tires. I don't want to buy alot of extra parts that i may not need. Should i go with a 2-3" suspension lift, with new shocks, or just try some new shocks. I want something that i can use for an everyday driver and not knock my teeth out when I don't have a load on the jeep. I would appreciate your thoughts and comments so can so i can get this done, my kids and i are ready to hit the woods.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:02 PM
JK Super Freak

How about the old air shock trick, pump er up when you need the lift, let out the excess pressure when your're back to normal. One air fitting near the hitch can do both shocks at the same time.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:06 PM
JK Newbie

Any brand in mind?
Old 09-10-2008, 11:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default tongue weight

Although it is important to have sufficient tongue weight, you may have too much. You should not bottom out with 1300 lbs if you are loaded correctly. Pull the weight back a little, go for a ride, if the trailer is stable (not swaying side to side), you are good to go.

my thoughts, for what it's worth
Old 09-11-2008, 01:14 AM
JK Freak

This is just for reference, I don’t have a lift but I tow a 6X12 enclosed trailer with electric brakes and 2 Harleys a street glide I am guessing 750Lbs and a Softail 640Lbs With the trailer loaded I have 240Lbs of tongue weight Never had trouble with bottoming, Of Corse I am not off road.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

If readjusting the weight does not work, try a set of 4 door rear springs.

People are sometimes giving them away after they install a lift.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:55 AM
JK Freak

Air shocks will be about the easiest all around, buttttttttt, but I'd look into a smallish lift: not a body lift- actual suspension lift to get some clearence between the axles and frame.............
Old 09-11-2008, 06:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X2 on the 4Dr Rubicon springs.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:00 AM
JK Newbie

Have you considered a new trailer that would carry the load better? It sounds to me like you have way to much tongue weight. I think the safest and best thing to do would be to buy a trailer that can properly carry the load. Second best would be air shocks. Just my 2 cents, Dave
Old 09-11-2008, 01:56 PM
JK Newbie

How do you tell how much tongue weight you have on a trailer? The trailer i have is a 5 x 14 with electric brakes and 3500 lbs axles. I feel the trailer itself is fine for the load i have on it. . I always put the heavyiest bike in the back to help out on the tongue weight.

Quick Reply: Towing question