Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Towing witha JK Unlimmitted

Old 02-16-2008, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing witha JK Unlimmitted

Does anyone have experience ion towing with a new JK Hnlimmitted Sahara? I am wondering if the stock tranny cooler is enough to keep my automatic tranny happy. It alos looks a little tight for space to add an additonal cooler...
Old 02-16-2008, 08:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by robertangelodibernardo
Does anyone have experience ion towing with a new JK Hnlimmitted Sahara? I am wondering if the stock tranny cooler is enough to keep my automatic tranny happy. It alos looks a little tight for space to add an additonal cooler...
Welcome to the forum. There are a great group of Men and Women Jeepers here willing to help.

Try doing a search, there are threads on Trans coolers and even a group of pictures in one where a guy installed a cooler with builtin fan. In general yes, by all means get an after cooler.

You will need to provide more info on your Jeep for others to help, like gear ratio, tire sizes, do you already have a trailer pack, year mdl.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I towed a trailer from GA to AZ at high way speeds and had no problems. I have the 6 speed so I don't know if that would make a difference, but I was impressed with the performance.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

I heard from a friend...that his JK could tow a 23 foot wake boat (4500# with trailer). He has a class 3 hitch.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have no doubt the Jeep can tow much more than advertised weight but be careful if you decide to go over the MFG weight rating because if you get into an accident you could be in big trouble with your insurance company.

If you are towing less than 3500# you should be in good shape. Make sure your trailer has either hydraulic brakes (surge) or better yet, an electronic over hydraulic set up which will require an in car brake controller.

I have a TJ Sahara which I used to pull (not tow) my 4500# boat out of the water and it did it at low tide on a slippery ramp with ease each and every time. But I would not want to tow that load down the road for safety and other purposes.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:10 PM
JK Newbie

I hauled a 17' war eagle fishing boat with a 75hp motor this past weekend(approx 2k lbs) without any problems.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

With an Auto just take off overdrive and u'll be fine and if your still worried put a cooler in the grill.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

My towing experience is very limited with what you can see...BUT i can already feel a problem: the BRAKES...I would upgrade my brakes if i had to tow something heavier! mmmmmmmmmmm brembo brakes ...

Old 03-24-2008, 01:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Maybe this will answer your question...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQLXUZR5Mjo
Old 03-24-2008, 01:29 PM
JK Freak

i tow my pop up and dont even know its there i also pull my quad trailer with 3 quads and 0ne dirt bike

Quick Reply: Towing witha JK Unlimmitted