Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Towing without tow package

Old 11-19-2007, 06:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think mine has a cooler & I have the towing package. At least there's no obvious extra hunk of aluminum radiator, like on my older vehicles. You should be fine with a pop up. I tow a camper that's pretty close to the max, & has more than the reccomended frontal area. It still does fine. Towed through the mountains (east coast granted) fine on the way to camp jeep. Also ran 70 to 75 for 4 hours coming back from PA with no discernable issues. The only gripe I have is the auto tranny with it's big jumps in gear ratios. I manually shift it lower myself to avoid the 5k shift rev.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:54 AM
JK Freak

Owners manual for 2008 Wrangler X without tow package reads up to 2500 pounds if I'm not mistaken.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ge99ne
I don't think mine has a cooler & I have the towing package. At least there's no obvious extra hunk of aluminum radiator, like on my older vehicles. You should be fine with a pop up. I tow a camper that's pretty close to the max, & has more than the reccomended frontal area. It still does fine. Towed through the mountains (east coast granted) fine on the way to camp jeep. Also ran 70 to 75 for 4 hours coming back from PA with no discernable issues. The only gripe I have is the auto tranny with it's big jumps in gear ratios. I manually shift it lower myself to avoid the 5k shift rev.
The odd thing is that some people with the auto and tow package got a tranny cooler and some people didn't. It sounds like some people got screwed. The don't call them them the Stealership for nothing. I'd raise hell with the dealer if I were you.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by woody_k
I have an '07 2 dr X. I have the 4.10 gears and according to my manual I can tow 2,000 lbs.

I have towed trailers and boats in the past with my truck and I was well under the max tow weight limit.

My question is this....I am thinking about getting a tent trailer. The trailer weighs in at 1400 with a tongue weight of 150. All within my Jeep's specs.

Do you think I would need a tranny cooler?

I know the motor is strong enough since the same setup in a 4 dr is 3500 lbs so I assume the issue with my Jeep is stability with the short wheelbase.
Since you are in SoCal and the temps can get high around there, I would get a cooler and if you do, go with a stacked plate design. I lived in Yucaipa for 4 years.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by N2rock
That is odd. I have factory tow package, but no cooler. My sticker says

I wonder if the tow package that has the cooler has a higher price?
That's a possibility. We need to get one of the guys that got the cooler to chime in on there window sticker.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Blue, thanks.

I live in Redlands, neighboring Yucaipa, and it does get hot. I was hoping to avoid the extra expense but that does make sense.

Gene, Thanks for the info. I too would probably manually shift the auto trans when needed. BTW Do you O/D and did you turn it off?
Old 11-21-2007, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

The only time I tow with overdrive on is on declines. I figure there's so little load on the drivetrain, why throw the exra revs in there if I'm not pulling a load.

I don't remember the manual requiring it be off for towing. I think it mentioned turning it off for excessive hunting. You will probably be able to use it with the much smaller profile of a pop up. I tow hybrid camper that's near the limit & an elclosed trailer 6x10 that's maybe half the weight of the camper. At highway speed they start to feel pretty similar. Around town before wind resistance really kicks in good, there's a huge difference.

I think I'm running about 3k at 70. Unless the tranny downshifts. Then it's pretty close to the redline when it drops down a gear.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue
The odd thing is that some people with the auto and tow package got a tranny cooler and some people didn't. It sounds like some people got screwed. The don't call them them the Stealership for nothing. I'd raise hell with the dealer if I were you.
I have a 08 on order with the tow package. When I selected that option I asked the dealer if it had a bigger radiator or a transmission cooler (auto). He said there was no difference, only the hitch.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by azyjjk
I have a 08 on order with the tow package. When I selected that option I asked the dealer if it had a bigger radiator or a transmission cooler (auto). He said there was no difference, only the hitch.
I believe the radiator thing is true with most if not all tow packages on all vehicles. My 1998 Dodge came with a tranny cooler on the tow package but the radiator was the same size on all 3 models of Ram trucks (except the Cummins).

I haven't started looking yet but I wonder if there is an aftermarket tranny cooler for the JK...or if the tranny has "ports" to install the oil lines.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:41 AM
JK Junkie

I have an '08 with tow package..

it doesnt say tranny cooler on the sticker but I changed my headlight bulbs

so I removed the grill, my JK does have a transmission cooler located infront of the radiator.

dont know if the non tow pack JK's are any different, as I have never compared

Quick Reply: Towing without tow package