Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

TPMS display reads wrong tires

Old 02-25-2013, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS display reads wrong tires

Does anybody know how the computer knows which tire is where on the Jeep? I have the 13 Rubicon with tire pressure read out in the dash but it shows the passenger rear as driver front and vice versa. I would think there has to be an easy way to calibrate this in order to perform tire rotations without bring it in to the dealer.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Owners manual should have something. I haven't looked at it because my shop has an exciter that can reset it. If it doesn't I'll look it up on alldata tomorrow and report back.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I actually thought it only gave a general warning that one tire has a problem and that it was up to the owner to figure out which one it was by actually looking at the tires and measuring. That is the way my wife's Mini Coopers system works.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:54 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
I actually thought it only gave a general warning that one tire has a problem and that it was up to the owner to figure out which one it was by actually looking at the tires and measuring. That is the way my wife's Mini Coopers system works.
That is how it worked until 2013. Now it shows a read out for each tire.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:33 PM
JK Super Freak

I thought I read something that said after 15-20 miles it would recalibrate itself. If not, then that would be bad, because it would require some kind of way to do it. My old CTS-V had this mode you could put it into using the key fob that would let you reset which sensor was in which position.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry I never got back here. I looked it up on alldata amd found very VERY little. Basically just to use an exciter. But nothing on putting it into learn mode. I have the exciter at work and will do it for free because its bull to charge someone for it.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for looking into it. Pretty lame that you have to bring it in to a shop every time you rotate the tires if you want the read out to be right :-\

Trending Topics

Old 02-27-2013, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah it is. Which is why I wouldn't ever charge for it. My boss is really cool and agrees with me that tpms is a forced systemand a rip off to people . He'd rip me a new one if I charged anyone and that goes double for the jeep community.

We reset them for free, don't mark them up from the dealer if we have to order one, and are always willing to admit and replace if we ruin one. I've even bought a couple out of pocket for a customer when I broke them. But from customer stories, we're one of the few.

Edit: has anyone checked the manual yet? If not I'll pull mine out tomorrow after work.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:46 AM
JK Newbie

I couldn't find anything in the manual

Quick Reply: TPMS display reads wrong tires