Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

TPS and cold weather

Old 01-02-2013, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPS and cold weather

spending some time in Ohio, got wicked cold, -9 overnight, jumped in the JK and the TPS is now on.
I have not checked the pressure yet, but eyeballing them, none looked significantly low.

I live at 8800 ft in CO, and it has gotten pretty cold there, but with zero humidity in CO, the cold is certainly different.

Would the cold here in Ohio have an impact on the my TPS readings?
Thanks.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cold air will cause lower pressure in your tire. In the morning mine will show around 37psi and after driving and the outside temps climb it can show 41-42psi.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:07 PM
JK Freak

Yup, for every 12* F you'll lose 1 psi. So if you filled your tires to 35psi at 63* you would have been at 29psi this morning.

For those 2012 and up with the display remember you should aim for 35psi "cold", not after you been driving for 20 minutes. It's normal to be in the 37-38psi range for me when warmed up.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

You sure can't tell a couple pounds of loss by looking at them ! In the amount of time it took you to post this , you could have easily checked your pressure !By the way , just do what I did and break them all off on rocks and look at the light on the dash board forever !
Old 01-03-2013, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dahreno
You sure can't tell a couple pounds of loss by looking at them ! In the amount of time it took you to post this , you could have easily checked your pressure !By the way , just do what I did and break them all off on rocks and look at the light on the dash board forever !
Yeah, I hear you. I am traveling, took me sometime to locate my guage and I had to join a couple conference calls, this seemed to be such a sudden event, coordinate with a drop in temp.
Each tire seemd to be a ~7lbs low, topped them all off, all good.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by btadlock
Yeah, I hear you. I am traveling, took me sometime to locate my guage and I had to join a couple conference calls, this seemed to be such a sudden event, coordinate with a drop in temp.
Each tire seemd to be a ~7lbs low, topped them all off, all good.
I think it seemed sudden because it was. In one of my last vehicles, if any one tire saw a 5-7psi drop, it would set the TPMS light on the dash. Your arctic freeze over there was probably enough to do it in at least one of your tires from the temperature drop alone.

Be sure to check the tires again when the weather warms up to normal. You'll probably find them to be inflated past what you'd regularly run them at.

Quick Reply: TPS and cold weather