Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Transmission question Th350

Old 07-18-2009, 02:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission question Th350

When I got this jeep I think it has the wrong dipstick in it. Can anyone tell me where the dipstick should protrude to in the pan? Should it go to the bottom of the trans pan or should it just protrude throught the tube?

Any help will be appreciated.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:32 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You're going to need to find the casting number so you can get a year model. There were about as many T 350s made as people. Well, maybe not that many, but several models. They all took different fluid amounts. Even some of the same number transmissions took different fluid amounts because of pan depth, tailshaft length and a host of other differences. A good transmission shop should be able to help. However........after saying all that, here is a tried and true method I've used for YEARS and it's never, never let me down. When you do a fluid and filter change, simply keep adding fluid until the transmission IMMEDIATELY drops into drive from neutral. Once you reach that point, it's full and you can mark the dipstick.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info. The existing tube is 6 inches longer than the th350 tube I bought at autozone. I am thinking I will just cut down the tube that is in it to except the new shorter dipstick.

Since I just drained all of the fluid out of the pan what do you think about me putting in the 11 quarts that a th350 is supposed to take and call it good if the shift response is quick?
Old 07-19-2009, 02:32 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by SpecWar
Thanks for the info. The existing tube is 6 inches longer than the th350 tube I bought at autozone. I am thinking I will just cut down the tube that is in it to except the new shorter dipstick.

Since I just drained all of the fluid out of the pan what do you think about me putting in the 11 quarts that a th350 is supposed to take and call it good if the shift response is quick?
If the pan is all you drained, 11 quarts will drastically over it. Normally, when the pan is dropped, it only taked between 4-5 quarts.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Now that's funny. Just goes to show me what researching the internet will get me. It seems like everywhere I read they were saying that 11 quarts was what I needed so that is what I was trying to put in.

Holy crap I hope I didn't ruin the thing trying to force that much fluid into it.

Just to be clear. You are saying that once I drain whatever is in the pan it should take approximately 4 or 5 quarts? I guess I will try that next. No wonder I was having such a hard time getting the pan to seal.

And are you saying that I put the Jeep in neutral and when I move the shifter to drive it should immediately lock in? Or are you saying it will drop into gear by itself? I appreciate you advice RedNeckJeep.

Last edited by SpecWar; 07-29-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:43 PM
JK Jedi

Now that's funny. Just goes to show me what researching the internet will get me. It seems like everywhere I read they were saying that 11 quarts was what I needed so that is what I was trying to put in.

Holy crap I hope I didn't ruin the thing trying to force that much fluid into it.

Just to be clear. You are saying that once I drain whatever is in the pan it should take approximately 4 or 5 quarts? I guess I will try that next. No wonder I was having such a hard time getting the pan to seal.

And are you saying that I put the Jeep in neutral and when I move the shifter to drive it should immediately lock in? Or are you saying it will drop into gear by itself? I appreciate you advice RedNeckJeep.
As long as you didn't try to drive it with way too much fluid, it's probably ok. All it would do is pump it out through the dipstick tube anyway......and maybe blow out the front pump seal. Maybe. Of course, that would require removing the trans to repair, but it's not too hard. Normally, they just pump excess fluid out the dipstick tube and that's it.

Yes, when the trans is properly filled, when droped into drive from neutral, it will immediately "jolt" into drive. There will be no hesitation.....unless of course the front clutch pack or converter or front pump have excessive wear. As long as everything is in good shape, almost simultaneously when you move the shifter to drive, you'll feel the trans go into gear. Usually that's between 4-5 quarts after draining the pan. I usually add three quarts, start it up and go from there just to be sure.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:14 AM
JK Jedi

11 quarts might be a dry capacity (I don't know), but if you just drained from the pan then there will still be fluid in the torque converter that is not accounted for. Sounds like you already did the deed, but you could have collected and measured what you drained and then added the same amount with new fluid to keep it the same.

This is one of the proposed benefits to the machines that change the fluid w/o dropping the pan, they are able to flush out the old fluid from the torque converter.

Trending Topics

Old 07-30-2009, 03:17 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
As long as you didn't try to drive it with way too much fluid, it's probably ok. All it would do is pump it out through the dipstick tube anyway......and maybe...

...burn the Jeep to the ground!
Old 07-31-2009, 06:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
As long as you didn't try to drive it with way too much fluid, it's probably ok. All it would do is pump it out through the dipstick tube anyway......and maybe blow out the front pump seal. Maybe. Of course, that would require removing the trans to repair, but it's not too hard. Normally, they just pump excess fluid out the dipstick tube and that's it.

Yes, when the trans is properly filled, when droped into drive from neutral, it will immediately "jolt" into drive. There will be no hesitation.....unless of course the front clutch pack or converter or front pump have excessive wear. As long as everything is in good shape, almost simultaneously when you move the shifter to drive, you'll feel the trans go into gear. Usually that's between 4-5 quarts after draining the pan. I usually add three quarts, start it up and go from there just to be sure.

Humm I thought going into reverse took the most fluid, learn something everyday.

Quick Reply: Transmission question Th350