Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Turn off day time running lights

Old 03-23-2011, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my friend works at a chryco dealership, we hooked up the WiTech to see IF we could change or disable the DRLs. NO luck, once DRLs are enabled, they can not be disabled. Changing the destination country, resulted in a mismatch between the TIPM and the other control modules, only way is the Procal.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

you could do something crazy like putting a ziener diode on the highbeam circuit (drls are PWM highbeams, ive confirmed this my self) to limit the low voltage out put of the drls, and use the ASD relay to trigger a relay to power up the fog lights all the time the engine is on. low beams are completely untouched and the highs should work as normal with the full voltage from the TIPM. im sure all of this will void any warranty related to the lights though. Cheaper then the procal, but at what cost in the long run.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I thought the Superchips does this as well????

Correct me if i am wrong but cant you run seperate power source from the battery to the lights then use the 'hot' from the factory headlight switch to activate a relay?

I hear thats what people like to do anyway when running high power lights.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RQ-11B
I thought the Superchips does this as well????

Correct me if i am wrong but cant you run seperate power source from the battery to the lights then use the 'hot' from the factory headlight switch to activate a relay?

I hear thats what people like to do anyway when running high power lights.
I dont think the Superchips does it. But I wish it did. I'd like to activate my DRLs.

Flash
Old 01-02-2016, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

Default Update

Originally Posted by Flash1034
I dont think the Superchips does it. But I wish it did. I'd like to activate my DRLs.

Flash
I know this is an old thread but I recently went looking for a way to disable my DRL on my 2012 JKU that I just purchased and happened upon this thread... upon reading this post about Superchips I decided to check them out to see if they had added this feature and turns out that they have. The Superschips TrailDash 2 has the capability to modify your DRLs upto and including turning them off. I will be ordering one soon for this purpose and many other features that it offers.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

All superchips controllers as far as I know can do this. I have the flashcal and it does.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by XJ Jay
you could do something crazy like putting a ziener diode on the highbeam circuit (drls are PWM highbeams, ive confirmed this my self) to limit the low voltage out put of the drls, and use the ASD relay to trigger a relay to power up the fog lights all the time the engine is on. low beams are completely untouched and the highs should work as normal with the full voltage from the TIPM. im sure all of this will void any warranty related to the lights though. Cheaper then the procal, but at what cost in the long run.
One problem I see with that idea is that some states (such as the one i live in) require you to turn off fog lights anytime you're required to turn off high beams. For example, in my state, you have to dim high beams whenever you are within 500ft of a vehicle traveling in the opposite direction as you and 250ft of a vehicle traveling in the same direction as you.

Last edited by denozo89; 06-26-2018 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-27-2018, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so, the DRLs are law in canada, i know this from importing a car from california a long time ago. and yeah, HIDs suck at being DRLs. I have heard legend of switching your DRLs to fog lights/halos/parking lights, but with it being a software setup, you may still need to re program the pcm. if you did disable that way, Canadian tire has a simple DRL relay for like $20 and you could move your anything to be your DRLs to avoid breaking the law per se. (if you do go parking lights for DRLs you may get confused for a stupid toyota)
Old 06-13-2020, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

In my 2012 JK from Canada, I can turn off the DRL by riding the handbreak :|
Old 06-14-2020, 04:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2008 JK. I wish it had DRL. I often look at oncoming traffic in low light conditions. I can see the vehicles with DRL much better. On my vehicles with Automatic On/Off headlights I put a piece of tape over the dash sensor so they will always be on when the vehicle is running.

Quick Reply: Turn off day time running lights