Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Under bumper shield

Old 10-08-2008, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airdam

my biggest problem is i cant even get the damn thing to click back in its held on by those shittty plastic plug items and i cant get it to click into those 2 rubber clicky things any techniques seems impossible
Old 10-08-2008, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine is currently off because I have replaced the stock bumper with tube bumpers and have not figured out or wanted to figure out how to reattach it.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

Thats some good points widewing stated. Plus if Jeep put it therehopefully is was for a reason. Think of what they would save by not putting them on the jeep. If they could save money on some part they would.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by marcoseddi
i dont know bro why dont u keep ur mouth shut a little and we wont have to have arguments but u seem to like to start shit so keep it comin
am I too late? fight, fight ,fight,
Old 10-08-2008, 10:49 AM
JK Junkie

my biggest problem is i cant even get the damn thing to click back in its held on by those shittty plastic plug items and i cant get it to click into those 2 rubber clicky things any techniques seems impossible
I say just remove it. it has as much impact on your jeep, as pure nitrogen filled tires which I'm sure someone could also give you an extremely long explanation of it.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:49 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Widewing
My take on the under-tray air deflector is that it was fitted for a purpose. All Jeep designs are wind tunnel tested for various attributes. These include drag and drag reduction, air flow through the radiator, under-flow, lift, etc. and so on. Virtually every vehicle on the road has been wind tunnel tested or at least subjected to complex aerodynamic computer modeling.

If you have ever examined a photo of a current Formula 1 race car, you will see a large number of small, seemingly insignificant aerodynamic devices tacked on the bodywork of the car. Nonetheless, each one of these tabs, lips, and fins is a part of the total, just like every stud in a load bearing wall is important to the overall strength of the structure. Removing one or more studs may not obviously change the function of the wall, but rest assured that the remaining studs are now compromised due to excess load stress. Likewise, removing one of the aero devices from the Formula 1 racer will change the aero balance of the car. The layman may not see the importance, but it exists nonetheless.

Examining the under-tray of my JK, I can see some obvious reasons for it being there.
1. It directs and smoothes air flow down below the front axle. Without it, air flow will become disorganized, tumbling and allowing for increased aero drag.
2. It also aids in faster, cleaner under-flow, which reduces aero lift.
3. It helps to create a low pressure area behind the radiator, increasing flow and decreasing under-hood air pressure.

If you drive your Jeep at relatively low speeds and don’t tow anything on the highway, you may not see any significant change with the under-tray removed. However, if you spend even a moderate amount of time on highways, especially towing on highways, you may see a decrease in fuel mileage and a probable increase in coolant temperature.

My advice is simple. For most driving and up to moderate off-road work, leave the under-tray in place. If you plan on doing some serious wheeling, crawl underneath and remove it. Afterwards, reinstall it again.

If you’ve lost it or damaged it, order a replacement.

I’ve been in Engineering for a long time. One thing I came to recognize early on is that many people make changes to vehicles without a shred of understanding how those changes will effect the dynamics of their vehicle. Just because they don’t see an obvious difference doesn’t mean there isn’t any. Not having any scientific basis for comparison, they assume too much.

You can rest assured that extensive engineering study went into designing and testing the JK’s under-tray. It is installed for a reason, perhaps beyond the understanding of the layman, but without doubt the reason is valid for general use of the vehicle.

In short, if you don’t know what it does or why it is there, don’t dick around with it.

My regards,

Widewing
Widewing,
I, and some others, have tried to say the same thing in various ways. (See post #21 for my version)
Most people just refuse to believe some things are done for a good reason.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Cheap fix: Two 14" zip-ties.

There's only two reasons I can think of why your hood latches fail to pull the hood down tight.

1) The latch bungee straps have deteriorated and/or stretched.

2) The rubber bumper strip(s) are missing or damaged. See the image below.

If the Jeep is still within the 36k mile warranty, get the dealer to replace anything worn or missing. A zip-tie is good enough for a temporary fix, but I wouldn't settle for that long term.

My regards,

Widewing
Old 10-09-2008, 12:55 AM
JK Junkie

i dont know bro why dont u keep ur mouth shut a little and we wont have to have arguments but u seem to like to start shit so keep it comin

oooo touched a nerve eh?

Seems like a clear cut case of "little man complex", probably explains why you cant get your air dam off or install a BB. Those plastic screws are tough to turn. Find an adult..they can help you Precious
Old 10-09-2008, 01:39 AM
JK Newbie

I have not noticed any difference without mine as well.

In regards to vehicle testing we have to remember that everything is tested and engineered to a budget. A lot of crap is on the Jeep because Jeep did not see the need to go higher end on it or the splash plate would have been metal and mounted in a way it would not come off when someone sneezed. Another good example is the silly little things that Jeep calls shocks and steering stabilisers. They hardly work to do anything very useful. Look at what you get on the after market, you can't buy shocks anywhere nearly as tiny as Jeep shocks and what a difference upgraded shocks and steering stabilisers make.

Don't assume that just because Jeep engineered it to be there that it is the best option for that region or that it does anything other than clean up the appearance of the undercarriage.

Quick Reply: Under bumper shield