Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Upgrading seat covers

Old 03-02-2019, 08:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upgrading seat covers

I have a 2008 JKU Rubi that I run with the top off most of the time in NORCAL. The original cloth seats got pretty weathered and I started covering with the neoprene covers available from numerous vendors. They all fir well and work as designed but none of them really keep up with sun and usually fade and start breaking down after a year.

I see lots of later model (2012-2018) covers on e-bay, does anyone know if the new covers will fit on the older frame?

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:29 PM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Thumbs up Bartact Seat Covers

I would go with Bartact, expensive but you will not be disappointed.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:09 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Haven't shopped eBay for seat covers, so no idea how they rate. I went Bartact as well. 3 year warranty against fading, waterproof material, storage options, choice of color combos. Real nice product - but of course they can't compete on price against the no-name knock-offs to be found on auction sites. The only negative comment I have is that I was shipped front covers with Bartact logos, and rear covers with TrekArmor logos (old company name). They offered to swap, but I didn't care about it enough to wait 8 weeks for matching rear covers to get to me.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I have the Rampage covers from eBay- $40 delivered for the front and rear sets. Terrible idea. I hate them. I wanted to take them off as I was installing them. I had Marathons seat covers on my previous vehicles and they were super nice.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:47 PM
JK Freak

Yeah, if I get seat covers I am going to go with something with better quality like Bartact. I was mostly wondering if the factory leather/cloth seat material from a later model JK would directly fit on my 2008 frames or do I need the whole seat? Seeing lots of complete take off skins but don't know the compatibility and have not been able to research it successfully.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

I have the Bartacts and love them....
Old 03-04-2019, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by woodyvw9
Yeah, if I get seat covers I am going to go with something with better quality like Bartact. I was mostly wondering if the factory leather/cloth seat material from a later model JK would directly fit on my 2008 frames or do I need the whole seat? Seeing lots of complete take off skins but don't know the compatibility and have not been able to research it successfully.
My fabric seats on my 2009 looked bad after 3 months. I went with Katzkin leather skins. They have been great. I don't believe the newer model covers/skins will fit since they redesigned the seats on 2011+ JKs. However, you can still get Katzkins leather for early model JKs.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

I have Marathon seat covers on mine and on my F-150. Very durable and nice fit. The drivers seat coloring is a little lighter from wear after 7 years but they still look great and don't show any fabric wear damage anywhere. I got the realtree fabric on the Rubicon and a grey camo fabric on the F-150.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unlimited

Has anyone tried Unlimited Seat Covers out of AZ? The pics look great, they aren't cheap, and they make em custom. I was looking at the Leatherette style but $264 for front and another $264 for rear. Charcoal outer with Red panels.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I went with Katzkin leather skins. They have been great. I don't believe the newer model covers/skins will fit since they redesigned the seats on 2011+ JKs. However, you can still get Katzkins leather for early model JKs.
Somehow I missed this thread I've had my Katzkin leather for probably 4.5 years now. To my dismay, my driver's side seat wore a lot on the outter seam, and just recent started to separate a bit. Now, I know a LOT of this is my fault in how I exit the jeep. 3.5" and 37s, and being maybe a few pounds overweight.......I tend to slide on out, even being 6' tall. So, I see how the seat wore a bit there, but then again, this isn't even a DD, and hasn't been for the last 3 years, so it's not seeing that much abuse! I'm a bit frustrated, but keep reminding myself that I got a killer deal on these covers. My plan, although a HUGE pain in the ass, is to remove both front seats, and swap the seat skins from the driver's side to passenger side seats. That will put the worn seam on the interior side of the passenger seat next to the middle console, and would assume buy me another 4 years of sliding in and out of the driver's seat.

As far as the OP's question, I agree with the fact that you cannot put the newer seat skins over the older model seat.

Quick Reply: Upgrading seat covers