Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

urgent help request-OEM lockers

Old 07-19-2013, 02:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default urgent help request-OEM lockers

Help. My front locker won't disengage for hours. 2009 stock locker. It engages ok, rear working fine. When I try to disengage, dash light just flushes. Fluid is new as I just got new gears two weeks ago.

I tried: driving for over an hour off road in all types of terrain to get it to free up. Back locked and unlocked fine. Front dash light kept flashing. Turned jeep off. Tapped diff with a hammer. Turned jeep off for 30 minutes. Nothing.

And it IS locked. And the light will flash when I turn it off, and go solid when I turn it on.

After about an hour, it disengaged on the trail. I kept using it and every time it was VERY slow to disengage regardless of terrain (flat, unloaded the drive train, etc).

It's just not releasing mechanically.

Tomorrow is another day if trails. HELP!

AdamIsAdam
Old 07-19-2013, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure it's still locked? You mention that you got new gears a couple of weeks ago. Is this the first time you engaged it since the re-gear?

It's not uncommon to bend the sensor a little when the diff is put back together. The sensor has be be kept in the extended position while the diff is reinstalled and then released. If it gets bent, it won't return to the correct position and the dash light keeps flashing even though it is unlocked.

Last edited by JoeElastic; 07-19-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

May be a sticking solenoid.. It sends a ground to the locker to complete it's ckt.. The solenoid is up between the battery and the side of the fender. There will be two of them side by side, one for front, one for rear.. You might try and smack it with the handle of a screwdriver and see if that will get it to free up..

That's the electronic explanation..

The mechanical one would require you to open the diff.. If something broke loose in the diff housing it may have wedged itself in between the push plate and the electromagnet and isn't allowing the locking pins to retract and release..
Old 07-19-2013, 07:43 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks for the info.
Yes, it's definitely locked when the light says it's locked.
Yes, I wheeled with it since the gears were installed and it worked fine. I've also had the fluid changed and both diffs inspected by the very qualified mechanic who did all the work. Plus, it's been over 1500 miles.

If the solenoid wasn't operating all the time, would the light be blinking and locker stay engaged? Even after shutting the engine off? Or after driving in 2WD

Edit: another question, if I have a problem with it being locked today after wheeling, in order to drive the 6 hour trip home, would unplugging the locker at the diff get it to disengage (assuming the solenoid is bad)? Which wire at the diff is the sensor and which goes to the electromagnet? I assume I unplug the electromagnet and leave the sensor?

TIA

AdamIsAdam

Last edited by adamisadam; 07-20-2013 at 02:37 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:29 PM
JK Junkie

It's unlocked for the ride home tomorrow. I was using it today but it still often takes a loooooong time to unlock.

AdamIsAdam
Old 07-20-2013, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

What I was thinking about the solenoid was that the contacts are sticking closed keeping the Ground on the locker and keeping it activated (ON) even when the switch is off.. When a solenoid or relay starts crapping out it can do some pretty weird stuff..

The light on the dash will flash if one of two conditions are not met.. The sensor in the dif housing is pulled out when the locker is engaged OR when there is a signal that the switch is pushed ON.. If the switch is off and the sensor is on, it flashes to let you know theres a problem and the locker may still be engaged (hasn't released). It may also flash when it has a signal from the switch that it is ON but the locker sensor indicates it's not locked.

Quick Reply: urgent help request-OEM lockers