Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Using a K&N air filter with the 3.6 engine

Old 01-21-2014, 01:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Using a K&N air filter with the 3.6 engine

I asked the search engine this question and came up with "no matches." So here goes. I have a 2012 JKU Sahara automatic with no mods (yet). It is doing just great, on & off road, and my average mileage, over 10K plus miles, is 20.2 MPG. But, never being one to leave a good thing alone, I installed a K&N air filter 250 miles ago and I can't see any difference in performance. I'll check the mileage the next time I fill up. Is anyone else using a K&N air filter? Any improvements in performance or mileage?
Comments please.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2012 2dr rubi and am using a k&n filter. Same here, don't really see any improvement but really wasn't looking for anything. Just wanted a better filter. I have 31k on mine. I think you may see some improvement with a cold air intake. I am assuming you have just the filter like me.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:24 PM
JK Junkie

I had just the filter in my 08 and didn't notice any performance improvement. Didn't check any mileage improvement. Main reason I bought it was because it was going to be the lady filter I'd have to buy. After bout 2-3 filter changes it makes up the cost.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:25 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 2BAJeep
I have a 2012 2dr rubi and am using a k&n filter. Same here, don't really see any improvement but really wasn't looking for anything. Just wanted a better filter. I have 31k on mine. I think you may see some improvement with a cold air intake. I am assuming you have just the filter like me.
I now how a cai and can definitely tell an improvement.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:43 PM
JK Junkie

I never saw an improvement in any of the 7 vehicles or so that I installed a K&N. The only reason I bought them? Cheaper over time with multiple replacements. Additionally, the only advertise anywhere from 3-15 hp increase. In a 3.6, even at the top end of their claim, it's only roughly a 5% gain! which in a 5,000 vehicle, isn't anything to notice. You are literally talking about 1hp per 200lbs. Consider how puny a 3.5hp go cart feels to a 200 lbs. dude. That's 3x's what the relative increase would be. It's all in the numbers and numbers don't lie.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just make sure if you wheel with a K&N, you clean it a lot. An oiled filter will trap more dirt (it's just doing its job) so a dirty K&N can end up restricting more airflow than a dirty paper (dry) filter.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's the recent thread where this was discussed:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-t...engine-293900/

The best evidence I've seen is the tests that this guy ran, comparing oiled and dry filters. Scroll to the bottom for links to the picture results:
Air Filtration Test
Old 01-21-2014, 06:01 PM
JK Jedi

I have one and didn't notice a gain in power but did have a slight increase in mpgs (.4 extra mpgs). I mainly bought it so I wouldn't have to keep replacing the paper one...
Old 01-22-2014, 07:05 AM
JK Freak

Cool Thanks

Thanks for the inputs ! I will concentrate on the fact that the K&N filter, by itself, will save me money over the long run and not expect any improvement in performance. Thanks again.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Desert Fox
Thanks for the inputs ! I will concentrate on the fact that the K&N filter, by itself, will save me money over the long run and not expect any improvement in performance. Thanks again.
This is pretty much it..

Quick Reply: Using a K&N air filter with the 3.6 engine