Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Vibration in drive train

Old 11-14-2010, 12:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration in drive train

We have a vibration in the drive train at 20-30 mph. Very erratic. New shocks, new tires, everything is solid and tight. How do you tell if the drive shaft is the problem. Wasn't a problem until my last tire rotation be fore the new tires. No damage. Just light off roading. Do not feel it in the steering wheel, just the body. Puzzled. Jim
Old 11-15-2010, 07:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it started with the new tires it is probably the new tires that is doing it. If you think it is in the driveshafts you can check easily enough by driving the Jeep with a driveshaft removed. Go ahead and remove the front driveshaft and drive it around in two wheel drive, if the vibration completely disappears the vibration is coming from the front driveshaft. If removing the front driveshaft does not eliminate the vibration, then put the front driveshaft back on, take the rear drive shaft off, and drive it in four wheel drive (which will be front wheel drive in this scenario). If driving with the rear driveshaft removed eliminates the vibration then it is the rear driveshaft that is vibrating. If neither driveshaft is the problem then it is something else, ... like the tires.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MOPWR2U
If it started with the new tires it is probably the new tires that is doing it. If you think it is in the driveshafts you can check easily enough by driving the Jeep with a driveshaft removed. Go ahead and remove the front driveshaft and drive it around in two wheel drive, if the vibration completely disappears the vibration is coming from the front driveshaft. If removing the front driveshaft does not eliminate the vibration, then put the front driveshaft back on, take the rear drive shaft off, and drive it in four wheel drive (which will be front wheel drive in this scenario). If driving with the rear driveshaft removed eliminates the vibration then it is the rear driveshaft that is vibrating. If neither driveshaft is the problem then it is something else, ... like the tires.
Dear Lord

I would start by removing the tires
Old 11-15-2010, 09:38 AM
JK Junkie

actually removing the front DS is quite simple to do.......that is def something I would consider as well.....when was the last time your rig had an alignment? a bent rim will also give similiar symptoms....I had the slightest ding in a rim on my other vehicle, and at speed I def had a vibration.....changed out that wheel, and it was gone....

Since you did not have this problem before the new tires, I would go back to the shop that did the install, and have them re-check the balancing on all four tires...good luck
Old 11-15-2010, 10:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the first sentence of my first post says I thought it was the tires. But if he thinks it is the driveline it takes about two minutes to unhook the front driveshaft. You dont even need to unhook both ends. Just unhook the axle end and tie it up with a bungy cord. In less time than it took his computer to boot up, and then post this question, he would have known if it was a front driveshaft vibration.

Last edited by MOPWR2U; 11-15-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gravel Gertie
We have a vibration in the drive train at 20-30 mph. Very erratic. New shocks, new tires, everything is solid and tight. How do you tell if the drive shaft is the problem. Wasn't a problem until my last tire rotation before the new tires. No damage. Just light off roading. Do not feel it in the steering wheel, just the body. Puzzled. Jim
Guys, read his post, it was a problem before the new tires.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Gravel Gertie
We have a vibration in the drive train at 20-30 mph. Very erratic. New shocks, new tires, everything is solid and tight. How do you tell if the drive shaft is the problem. Wasn't a problem until my last tire rotation be fore the new tires. No damage. Just light off roading. Do not feel it in the steering wheel, just the body. Puzzled. Jim
This is a pretty common scenario. You can take 4 big meaty tires, rotate them, and this will happen. Two things to do, have them force balanced, either by GSP 9700 or with tires still on the vehicle(still road forced). People rotate their tires to much. I rotate every 6000 or more. 3000 is a little much.
Old 11-16-2010, 03:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Vibration

Thanks for your suggestions. I also got some good ideas from the "Death Wobble" thread. We will see where it all comes out. I will get back with results.
Jim

Quick Reply: Vibration in drive train