Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Warning lights/Wheel Speed Sensor problem...

Old 02-04-2015, 04:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow causing ABS/ESC problem

We have a 2012 Wrangler. It's only at about 30k miles. Last winter, after a big snowstorm, the lights went on for ABS/ESC. I assumed it was being caused by a buildup of snow around the hubs, so I took it to the self serve car wash and really blasted the underside clean. The lights didn't go out. We drove it for a day or so with no improvements, so I brought it into the dealer. They replaced a wheel speed sensor, and everything was fine.

Now this year's big snow storm has caused the same issue. I took a long trip with the lights on, stopped for gas, and when I hit the road again, the lights went off. After a few minutes on the expressway, the lights all came back on. They've been on and off for a couple of days now.

I took it back to the dealer on day 1, and they scanned it. The scan says its the left rear wheel speed sensor. Unfortunately, they couldn't tell me which one they replaced last year.

On the way out of the dealer's lot, the lights went out again. On and off a few times, and they seem to be off for good now. That sucks, because I'd like to see if throwing a new one back there will fix the issue. Also, I don't want to keep trashing sensors if its being caused by something more serious.

Is there something in the wiring or axle that could be affected by snow? It's horrible to think that snow would take down a Wrangler this way.......
Old 05-03-2016, 05:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question for anyone who has replaced the wheel/speed sensor. On the rear sensors how tightly do the rears connect? I can almost pull mine off without pulling the red tab back. I'm thinking when I replaced the rear I broke off a piece of plastic on the inside or the wiring harness. Has anyone replaced the rear harness?

Quick Reply: Warning lights/Wheel Speed Sensor problem...