Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Water in front diff

Old 02-13-2008, 11:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in front diff

If you've seen it before, you know what water+oil looks like. Beige milky gunk.

That's what was in my front diff at 4200kms (2600 miles)

Before you ask, NO I did not do any water crossings yet, only a little snow.

Axle seals look ok (not seeping near the spindle etc)

Anyone run across this one?
Old 02-14-2008, 07:16 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow....what made you take a look inside your diff with only 4200km???

I think I will have to take a peek at our JK with 4500km as I have been 4wheeling through some snow a few times this year as well. I was going to wait till Spring and change out the diff oil with the break-in. But if you have the milk shake diff's....I think I will do it sooner than later.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:21 AM
JK Junkie

if the seals are good... and you dont cross water... i dont understand how this could happen... i drained... cleaned (one can of brake cleaner per diff)... resealed... and refilled my front and rear diff at 15,000miles

no milky... and i do deep water crossing and big mud puddles
Old 02-14-2008, 08:55 AM
Former Vendor

Here are the points of entry I can think of: drain plug, fill plug, vent tube, cover, pinion seal, and axle seals. How much water are we talking about?
Old 02-14-2008, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

To answer TripleJeeps question - I went to a quick lube place and they did the usual inspection

TGRT - Yeah I was thinking axle seals but it could be the pinion as well. Cheers
Old 02-14-2008, 06:48 PM
JK Junkie

The RTV from the factory/dealer on our front diff did not go all the way aound the mating surface. There was about a 3/8" gap towards the top. First time thru some water about 18" deep and it filled right up. Did you take a look at the RTV before you scraped it off? I know you said you didnt go thru any water, but it couldve been a point of entry. I was suprised what a shitty job they did on mine. The rear didnt have a gap in it, but there wasnt much of a bead.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:25 PM
JK Junkie

I've done a couple water crossings, was planning to change it out this weekend, now I'm going to do it for sure.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:56 PM
JK Newbie

The RTV from the factory/dealer on our front diff did not go all the way aound the mating surface. There was about a 3/8" gap towards the top. First time thru some water about 18" deep and it filled right up. Did you take a look at the RTV before you scraped it off? I know you said you didnt go thru any water, but it couldve been a point of entry. I was suprised what a shitty job they did on mine. The rear didnt have a gap in it, but there wasnt much of a bead.
Thanks for the input - I'll have a closer look at this.

I have to say that with my leaking top, timing cover oil leak and water in my diff, I'm seriously questioning the build quality of these trucks.

My 03 Rubi was trouble free. Wish I coulda kept it. Couldn't afford it at the time.

If Toyota had soft-top solid axle 2 dr 4WD that wasn 20 grand and wasn't ugly I'd be all over it.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:30 AM
Former Vendor

I think Toyota quality has been slowly slipping over the years if the reports are to be believed. With our Jeeps it seems to be hit or miss. Everything seems to be assembled correctly on mine with the exception of overfilled differentials from the factory -- although not enough to blow oil out of the vent tubes.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:50 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by drifter dave
Thanks for the input - I'll have a closer look at this.

I have to say that with my leaking top, timing cover oil leak and water in my diff, I'm seriously questioning the build quality of these trucks.

Sounds like yours was built on a Monday or Friday....sorry to hear about your issues. I got my leaky roof fixed, rattling Tailgate door fixed, driver's door seal replaced but I still have the issue of distance with my key fob for autolocks.

I will be changing my diff's this weekend....and let you know how they looked

Quick Reply: Water in front diff