Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Weird seal observation...

Old 04-20-2007, 08:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird seal observation...

So, spent a fair bit of time cleaning/waxing my JK after going to the local car wash and hitting the spots they always miss. Actually enjoy this... kinda relaxing after a long week and good opportunity to bond with my Jeep.

Yeah, I like to get it muddy, but also enjoy getting it clean again...

Strange thing though... both right & left door seals have a little, rough hole cut in them at the bottom toward the front. I looked for some contact point where the seal might see some abrasion, but it didn't line up. I have a theory on this, but am curious to know if anyone else has found it.

Attached is a really crummy, not-to-scale CAD drawing I slapped together to sorta show where I found this. Open your doors and look underneath at the seal. Is there a hole there?

Lemme know if you find anything by posting here. Inquiring minds want to know! Thx!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	JK Door.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	1345  

Last edited by '07JK Fan; 04-21-2007 at 04:49 AM.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, I wouldn't have found it either if I wasn't so OCD about detailing my JK. Mine has holes on both sides at the same location and they're jagged like yours. At first I thought it might be hitting the bolt in the sill area, but they don't line up.

Well, I guess two people is far from a consensus, but here's my theory: A lot of folks have noted that their doors are hard to close and sometimes pop open if not closed firmly, mine included. This is particularly true with windows rolled up, hard top sealed and no other doors open. I attributed this to new seals.

If you look at the door seal it is a continuous hollow seal that runs all the way around the edge of the door. The air trapped inside has nowhere to go, which allow very little compression unless... you put a little hole in it somewhere... say, somewhere inconspicuous?

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I have a feeling DC may have had a bunch of these seals made up and then realized that there was a problem with door closure. Quick fix: gouge a little hole out to allow the air to escape.

I wonder if they addressed this in later builds. Curious to know what your build date is... mine's 11/06.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:16 PM
JK Freak

i don't have the same holes you guys have. the holes in my seals (all 4 door seals) are perfectly round and bevelled - looks like they're supposed to be there. they're not in the same place either, probably right around dead center of the door's length and on the bottom.

i don't have a mark on the seal or anything that would suggest wear. i wonder if it matters that i have the door sill guards. oh, and my build date is 2/16. so i guess if you don't have the perfectly made holes in the center, then your conspiracy theory might be accurate.

Last edited by superboo; 04-21-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by superboo
i don't have the same holes you guys have. the holes in my seals (all 4 door seals) are perfectly round and bevelled - looks like they're supposed to be there. they're not in the same place either, probably right around dead center of the door's length and on the bottom.

i don't have a mark on the seal or anything that would suggest wear. i wonder if it matters that i have the door sill guards.
What's your build date? Are the holes in the same location I posted? Curious to know... Thx!
Old 04-21-2007, 04:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by '07JK Fan
What's your build date? Are the holes in the same location I posted? Curious to know... Thx!
i just edited my post - 2/16 build date. and all 4 holes are in the same location at what looks to be nearly dead center of the door's length.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

i just edited my post - 2/16 build date. and all 4 holes are in the same location at what looks to be nearly dead center of the door's length.
Hmm... Think this may have been an early model issue addressed later. I've seen seals like these with holes in them to allow more compression, which is why I'm thinking this was a little detail DC overlooked on earlier builds.

Thanks for your post!
Old 04-21-2007, 04:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by '07JK Fan
Hmm... Think this may have been an early model issue addressed later. I've seen seals like these with holes in them to allow more compression, which is why I'm thinking this was a little detail DC overlooked on earlier builds.

Thanks for your post!
do you have the "clean" holes in the center of the seal?
Old 04-21-2007, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

do you have the "clean" holes in the center of the seal?
Nope... they're jagged, like Mr. T's, which is why I think this was a temporary fix until DC worked through their inventory of "hole-less" seals. Since your JK is 2/'07, I'm thinking maybe they had it figgered out by then.

Last edited by '07JK Fan; 04-21-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:46 PM
JK Jedi Master

I have perfect little round holes. I took delivery 11/15/06, but not sure what my build date is, because I removed the sticker on the door jam.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robar
I have perfect little round holes. I took delivery 11/15/06, but not sure what my build date is, because I removed the sticker on the door jam.
Well, that pretty much blows my "theory", I 'spose. Not really a problem or defect in my opinion, but found it a little curious and wondered if anyone else had stumbled on this as I did.

Quick Reply: Weird seal observation...