Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

What is this Black Plastic thing?

Old 03-01-2016, 02:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What is this Black Plastic thing?

Anyone know what this thing is and what does it do? I'm looking to run some more wires into the interior and saw that. If its just a blank cap I'm going to use the thing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3766.JPG
Views:	421
Size:	597.9 KB
ID:	639348   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3767.JPG
Views:	418
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	639349  
Old 03-01-2016, 02:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking a guess I'd say it's the drain from the cowel vent.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A/C drain
Old 03-01-2016, 05:21 PM
JK Junkie

Default A/C condenser drain.

Yes. That makes sense. I guess I won't be messing with that.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

A pretty common way of getting wires into the cab is through a pre-existing hole near the drivers side door behind the dash access panel. This works to get you from inside the engine compartment into the cab. It's kind of small, but works for your average wiring project, I've got about 6 18 gauge wires strung through it now, but my next set of wires will probably have to go through the identical hole on the passenger side.

Not sure where/what you are trying to wire up. Hope this helps.

Happy Jeeping!

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum

Name:	image-2640691571.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	463.3 KB
ID:	639365  
Old 03-02-2016, 03:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tjkamp
A pretty common way of getting wires into the cab is through a pre-existing hole near the drivers side door behind the dash access panel. This works to get you from inside the engine compartment into the cab. It's kind of small, but works for your average wiring project, I've got about 6 18 gauge wires strung through it now, but my next set of wires will probably have to go through the identical hole on the passenger side. Not sure where/what you are trying to wire up. Hope this helps. Happy Jeeping! Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
this is the exact hole I use as well. From there it's in a nice location to run wires up or down. And extra wire can be wrapped up and zip tied neatly behind that panel.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:37 AM
JK Junkie

I'm looking to hard wire my LED Light Bars inside. Right now I just have a wireless remote for them. My Wife wants me to wire it.... lol Its my Jeep but she's telling me what I should do....

Happy Wife Happy Life.....
Old 03-03-2016, 04:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default that is a a/c drain tube

and should be extended away from your slave cylinder if you have a six speed otherwise the water that drips out in summer from running a/c drains down into your slave cylinder and gets inside and your clutch or wash away the greese on the the end of the slave shaft & will creak at clutch fork and also get to your clutch in some cases . just a short extention tube over it with a small hose clamp and pushed a side will prevent this .

ps . poor location from factory . A little to the right or left with a 6 " rubber extention will be good, i had to replace the slave cylinder because of that little drain nipple. $1.00 will save you a big issue later slave cylinder is about 65 (crown brand) plus labor and if it gets to clutch it about $1200 so add the extention now

Name:	IMG_1224 (2).jpg
Views:	137
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	639583  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 03-10-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:18 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
and should be extended away from your slave cylinder if you have a six speed otherwise the water that drips out in summer from running a/c drains down into your slave cylinder and gets inside and your clutch or wash away the greese on the the end of the slave shaft & will creak at clutch fork and also get to your clutch in some cases . just a short extention tube over it with a small hose clamp and pushed a side will prevent this .

ps dont run wires there . water runs out that tube and directly splashes or drains onto slave cyl, poor location from factory . A little to the right or left with a 6 " rubber extention will be good i had to replace the slave cylinder because of that little drain nipple. $1.00 will save you a big issue later slave cylinder is about 65 (crown brand) plus labor and if it gets to clutch it about $1200 so add the extention now
I'm going to add a tube this weekend. I run my A/C with the top and doors off all the time. Its nice to have cool air hit your face when your waiting at a light.

Quick Reply: What is this Black Plastic thing?