Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What causes Premature pinion bearing failure

Old 08-30-2017, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What causes Premature pinion bearing failure

So first off thank you for anyone who reads this an helps me out I know there is a million pinion bearing threads but I feel like this one is somewhat unique.

Anyway about 2 months ago right around the end of June my pinion bearing went out on my rear axle (d44 Rubicon axle with factory e-locker) so I do my research an realize that it is a little to far out of my ballpark to do the work myself. Then I start looking for axle shops searched online asked guys in my local jeep club an finally come up with a common answer of a allegedly "best axle shop in columbus Ohio" not going to name the shop but I scheduled my appointment an they got me in I had already bought a master rebuild kit for my jeep from quadtratec so when I dropped it off i had the parts ready for them to install. Anyhow process was smooth fairly fast an the jeep was back on the road. After about 3 weeks went by an maybe 500miles put on the jeep ( only drive it a few times a week) the pinion bearing is out AGAIN!!! so at this point I'm pretty frustrated so I take it back to the shop an they take everything apart an claim that the bearings I bought were "junk" an since I bought my own parts they can't warranty anything. So they order their own bearings an charge me full price again an the jeep is back on the road again. So that was right after the first of august when I got it back the second time. An everything was good no whirling noise or whining an pinion yolk was tight. So I'm happy. Maybe the bearings I bought were junk. So I've had my top off for the last 2weeks because of lack of rain we've had recently, when I went to put the top back on Sunday evening, I take a trip to the store an my rear end is whining just like before!!! So my question is what in the world is making these bearings keep failing. I'm supposed to drop the jeep off tomorrow back at that shop so they can look at it but I'm refusing to pay them for another bearing job. Has anyone had anything similar happen? Does anyone know what would cause this? Is this axle shop over looking something? Idk I'm just sick of this problem an need to get it fixed!..... without buying a prorock60 lol

P.s. probably should have mentioned the mods to my jeep 2011 2dr rubicon 3.5 Metalcloak gamchanger suspension system. 35" nitro trail grapplers
Old 08-30-2017, 05:15 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Incorrect angle of your drive shaft and the wrong preload on your bearing can contribute to early failure
Old 08-31-2017, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by scooby snacks
Incorrect angle of your drive shaft and the wrong preload on your bearing can contribute to early failure

My control arms are fully adjustable an were installed per manufacturer specs of the lift. I guess I could see about adjusting them but I don't think my DS angle is extremely awful. But again I could be wrong
Old 08-31-2017, 09:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wyattgreene12@gmail.com
My control arms are fully adjustable an were installed per manufacturer specs of the lift. I guess I could see about adjusting them but I don't think my DS angle is extremely awful. But again I could be wrong
Post a picture of your rear DS angle.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
Post a picture of your rear DS angle.

I droped it off this morning to hear what there opinion is on the failure. Will try an get a picture when I go back over there to hear what they have to say about it.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting... what diff cover do you have on? If your pinion is adjusted nose up too much it could be starving the pinion bearing of oil.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Are they using the factory style crush collar or a solid spacer?
Old 09-02-2017, 06:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
Are they using the factory style crush collar or a solid spacer?

I have the teraflex diff cover with the high pinion fill hole.

an as far as crush sleeves I have absolutely no clue I could ask them. Which one is preferred?
Old 09-02-2017, 04:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Wyattgreene12@gmail.com
I have the teraflex diff cover with the high pinion fill hole. an as far as crush sleeves I have absolutely no clue I could ask them. Which one is preferred?
The factory crush sleeve will retain the torque better however, if it is shocked (hard knock taken by diff) it can slightly crush the sleeve more which Of course makes the pinion loose. The solid sleeve requires the pinion nut be torqued properly, lock tight used and occasionally checked to be sure it hasn't backed off. I use the crush sleeve but Iam not an extreme wheeler.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
The factory crush sleeve will retain the torque better however, if it is shocked (hard knock taken by diff) it can slightly crush the sleeve more which Of course makes the pinion loose. The solid sleeve requires the pinion nut be torqued properly, lock tight used and occasionally checked to be sure it hasn't backed off. I use the crush sleeve but Iam not an extreme wheeler.

Thanks for the info should be worth asking them about. Mine doesn't see extreme abuse only about every other minth or longer for the most part pretty light wheelin an camping trips. But every once in a while when all the boys get together I beat in her pretty hard lol

Quick Reply: What causes Premature pinion bearing failure