Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

What is a good seam sealer

Old 11-24-2010, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a good seam sealer

I have a small leak right at the seam above the drivers head in my soft top. Likes to seep in and soak my seatbelt. What is a good seam sealer to use on a softtop? The rest of the top is in good shape, so no need to replace yet. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is not a tear or something Scotchguard could probably seal it right up. Have used that on tent seams over the years and always worked on them. Not sure how that stuff works but it does.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by genesbro
If it is not a tear or something Scotchguard could probably seal it right up. Have used that on tent seams over the years and always worked on them. Not sure how that stuff works but it does.
No tear, just a leak along the seam. I have never repaired canvas so I was clueless what would work on it. I have tent seam sealer, but that is nylon not canvas, not sure if it would work. Thanks for your assistance
Old 11-24-2010, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use shoe glue for everything I can. However you do want to be careful with it because to much and you ruin everything....
Old 11-24-2010, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Beeswax or camp dry.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

like the guy before said bee's wax will work, and so will scotchguard or fabric guard 303 protectant. Dont waste your time taking your top to a canvas shop because there's nothing they can do, and working on Jeep tops is a pain in the ass because some of the framing is riveted to the top... I've worked on a few.

Your best bet is either trying some waterproofing stuff on the outside, or taping the inside of the seam and then using the outer water proofing stuff, to get at it from both sides.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default seam sealer

I like a product from McNett called Seam Grip. The area MUST be clean (w alcohol) and dry. I mask the area to be repaired/sealed. After applying it, wait about 10-15 min and then GENTLY remove the masking tape. As the product sits and dries, the edges will feather out to form a strong flexible bond. It is a clear, somewhat shiny product. I have had it lift from non-porous material, but I think the soft top has a rough enough surface and enough porosity to hold strong. Try a small dab on a hidden spot and after 24 hours try peeling it off with your thumb nail. Once the tube is opened and used, the product seals on itself and makes using more of the tube VERY difficult
Old 11-25-2010, 03:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mike Davis
I like a product from McNett called Seam Grip. The area MUST be clean (w alcohol) and dry. I mask the area to be repaired/sealed. After applying it, wait about 10-15 min and then GENTLY remove the masking tape. As the product sits and dries, the edges will feather out to form a strong flexible bond. It is a clear, somewhat shiny product. I have had it lift from non-porous material, but I think the soft top has a rough enough surface and enough porosity to hold strong. Try a small dab on a hidden spot and after 24 hours try peeling it off with your thumb nail. Once the tube is opened and used, the product seals on itself and makes using more of the tube VERY difficult
Seam Grim is great stuff. About $8 for a small tube but works extremely well.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for al the info and pointing me in the right direction I will try a fix and let you know the result.

Quick Reply: What is a good seam sealer