Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

What's the correct way to check auto trans fluid level?

Old 07-21-2008, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's the correct way to check auto trans fluid level?

As the title suggests, what's the correct way to check the ATF level? The owner's manual says (paraphrasing): get it to operating temperature, then run it through each gear, ending in Park, then check the fluid level.

But on the dipstick itself, it says "check fluid while idling in neutral" (paraphrasing again, I don't remember the exact wording)

So, should I check it in Park, or in Neutral? Engine running, or not? The fluid level appears vastly different depeding on whether I check it in Park or Neutral, so obviously it matters, but there is conflicting information here. I'm leaning toward what it says on the dipstick itself, since that was made by the same people who made the transmission. The owner's manual was written by a technical writer who knows how to spell dipstick, but doesn't necessarily know how to use one...

So, what's the concensus? P or N. Engine running, or not? I f'd up my trans cooler install and lost a bunch of fluid, so I want to make sure I get it back to the right level without over filling it.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

way I alway done it was to get it to normal operating temp
shift the lever into park rev neu drive 2 1 pauseing a few seconds in each gear then going back up

finally put it in park if I am by my self and chaeck it or if someone is there put it in neutral
Old 07-21-2008, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

You should always check it in park.
Nuetral will still turn the pump so you will not get an
accurate reading.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:10 AM
JK Freak

I think thats the point of checking it neutral to keep the pump moving
Old 07-21-2008, 11:18 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Engine running at operating temperature with the selector in neutral and the parking brake ON. As you mention, the deestruckshuns are right on the dipstick...in the owner's manual, too.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
As you mention, the deestruckshuns are right on the dipstick...in the owner's manual, too.
But that's the problem : what's on the dipstick and what's in the owner's manual are different - dipstick says N, manual says P. I get different readings each way, so it matters. Which is it???

And now I have one person here saying P, and one saying N, and one saying either P or N............

Old 07-21-2008, 12:03 PM
JK Newbie

Personally, I get the engine to operating temperatures, chock the wheels, place the vehicle in neutral and engage the park brake.... This is how I have done it for years and knock on wood... Have not had an issue... You could always call your local AAMCO or dealer and ask them the appropriate way. Tell them you just had it serviced and thought you saw a drip and want to be sure....
Old 07-21-2008, 12:28 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by undertow119
But that's the problem : what's on the dipstick and what's in the owner's manual are different - dipstick says N, manual says P. I get different readings each way, so it matters. Which is it???

And now I have one person here saying P, and one saying N, and one saying either P or N............

Neutral. The manual says park because of legalities. If the trans is not in park, the front pump won't be engaged and the level in the pan will be too high. The whole point of checking while in neutral is to get the correct operating level. with the trans in park, all you get is the static level. In other words, if you check in park, you may as well not even start the engine, because you'll get the same reading as if the engine was not running.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:15 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Neutral. The manual says park because of legalities. If the trans is not in park, the front pump won't be engaged and the level in the pan will be too high. The whole point of checking while in neutral is to get the correct operating level. with the trans in park, all you get is the static level. In other words, if you check in park, you may as well not even start the engine, because you'll get the same reading as if the engine was not running.
What?
This is from the service manual:
"FLUID LEVEL CHECK
The transmission sump has a dipstick to check oil similar to most automatic transmissions. It is located on the left side of the engine. Be sure to wipe all dirt from dipstick handle before removing.

The torque converter fills in both the PARK and NEUTRAL positions. Place the selector lever in PARK to be sure that the fluid level check is accurate. The engine should be running at idle speed for at least one minute, with the vehicle on level ground. At normal operating temperature (approximately 82° C or 180° F), the fluid level is correct if it is in the HOT region (cross-hatched area) on the oil level indicator. The fluid level should be in COLD region at 21° C (70° F) fluid temperature. Adjust fluid level as necessary. Use only Mopar® ATF+4, Automatic Transmission Fluid."

This is from the owner's manual:
"To properly check the automatic transmission fluid level,
the following procedure must be used:
1. Operate the engine at idle speed and normal operating
temperature.
2. The vehicle must be on level ground.
3. Fully apply parking brake.
4. Place the gear selector momentarily in each gear
position ending with the lever in P (Park).
5. Remove the dipstick, wipe it clean and reinsert it until
seated.
6. Remove the dipstick again and note the fluid level on
both sides. The fluid level should be between the HOT
(upper) reference holes on the dipstick at normal operating
temperature."

No amount of arguing or off-the-cuff justification can dispute what the service manual AND the owner's manual tell you about how to do this simple check.

Last edited by ronjenx; 07-21-2008 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default check MINE in NEUTRAL

The dip stick said neutral, I checked mine at hot idle in NEUTRAL, the level was right on the money. I installed a tranny cooler ( a BIG ONE), it took a quart extra to top it off, checked at hot idle in neutral it still reads right on the money. The dipstick instructions WORK. I can only comment on what actually works for ME. The stamped in steel instructions seem much more reliable to me than lawyerspeak in a printed manual, however to each his own.....Let's all be friends boys

Quick Reply: What's the correct way to check auto trans fluid level?