Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Whining engine noise. Hmmmmm?

Old 04-03-2013, 04:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep spare idler pulleys on hand. Seems i replace them every year. They're like $8 at rockauto. I have the same whine almost since I bought it new. Everyone always asks if its the power steering pump. Fluid is fine and nothing noticed in the steering. Ill have to try this belt/ fluid stuff.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt Mack
I keep spare idler pulleys on hand. Seems i replace them every year. They're like $8 at rockauto. I have the same whine almost since I bought it new. Everyone always asks if its the power steering pump. Fluid is fine and nothing noticed in the steering. Ill have to try this belt/ fluid stuff.
Is rockauto online? I paid $30 for mine.
I am still impressed with how quiet my Jeep is. I to had the whine since new, just worse after big mud puddles.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:59 AM
JK Newbie

I also have a whining noise coming from the engine compartment. It only occurs when the car is first started and when temperatures are below 35F or so. This has been happening since I bought the car new three years ago and hasn't gotten any worse (or better!) over the years.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Testut
I also have a whining noise coming from the engine compartment. It only occurs when the car is first started and when temperatures are below 35F or so. This has been happening since I bought the car new three years ago and hasn't gotten any worse (or better!) over the years.
Trade it in for a Jeep.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

Is your Jeep clutch or auto? My 09 has a wine when my clutch is not engaged. It is a low level wine but enough to be somewhat annoying. Push in the clutch and it is gone. On mine I am guessing it is the berring.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

I have the standard transmission and the whining sound is not affected by the gear I'm in or whether the clutch is engaged or not. The whining seems related to ambient temperature occurring only below 35F, only as the Jeep is driven for the first time of the day, and going away after being driven a few miles. Typical?
Old 04-04-2013, 12:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Testut
I have the standard transmission and the whining sound is not affected by the gear I'm in or whether the clutch is engaged or not. The whining seems related to ambient temperature occurring only below 35F, only as the Jeep is driven for the first time of the day, and going away after being driven a few miles. Typical?
Prior to fixing my whine, it was louder the colder the temp. I have not had cold temps since fixing. I am hoping my Jeep will not whine in the cold.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

Default Jeep Whine

My jeep had a terrible whine after some mud and water last fall. First off changed the idler pulleys as this has cured it before. No fix, then tried PS pump as it seamed to fade at low rpm in parking lots and I figured it was almost worn out. Pressure improved but whine still there. Replaced the bearing inside the A/C clutch, and ahhh the sound of silence. A/C bearing not procurable, but a good bearing shop can supply you with two bearings to replace the 1" wide bearing.

Last edited by bae146; 04-10-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:27 PM
JK Newbie

Default Still the same cause...

Just wanted to get a new post up for people searching for this (like I did) - not that I have any new news here - my 2016 new to me JK Wrangler Sport S had a serious engine whine, so I took it to the dealership since it's still under factory warranty and the replaced the alternator first (didn't fix it) and then the idler pulleys, which seems to have fixed it. So, the problem can still come up in a newer model Jeep, but the fix is still the same thing. I'm just glad this one didn't cost me a dime ;-)

Quick Reply: Whining engine noise. Hmmmmm?