Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

WHY are most Jeep dealers so just plain ol' dumb?!

Old 01-06-2007, 08:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See my thread about the sales manager telling me Rubicons are fake - https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/dealerships-now-saying-rubi-unlimited-not-out-yet-1716/
Old 01-07-2007, 07:19 AM
JK Newbie

I really see this as such an opportunity for some folks, and for Jeep too.

Imagine if all the guys, at every dealer, were like Don-A-Vee Jeff? Jeep sales would be better, and the perception of Jeep would be better.

My mother in law used to work for a Lexus dealer. She worked up in the business office, yet she had to pass product knowledge tests. They sent her out to drive all the cars, and compare them to other makes too. The end result was an organization that knows the product and assists the customer in every way possible.

A good product starts with a good buying experience.

Andrew
Old 01-07-2007, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

My local dealers parts department told me that none of the new mopar accessories were out for the JK, i should wait until the first of the year...

This is the same dealership that wouldnt call me back about finding the model I wanted, despite 2 trips to the dealership to talk to the salesman... poor customer service... I wish DC would send me a survey on THEM... so instead I bought mine in pennsylvania and drove 6.5 hours each way to pick it up

idiots
Old 01-07-2007, 02:17 PM
JK Freak

The first salesman I talked to didn't know a thing about the wranglers and wanted to put me in a Liberty cause they had lots of them and he could get me a better deal on one.

Went back and talked to another guy who knew all about them. Answered the questions I didn't know. When we picked up our jeep he went over everything, he even showed us how the soft top worked. He was a jeep guy and not just a sales person.

Bryan
Old 01-07-2007, 04:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SpudRacer
How can you be a salesman, yet know nothing about the product you're trying to sell?

Tom
Bryson City, NC
You Can sell if you don't know your product. You have to be very adept at saying "I don't know but I will find out," and then finding out. It's actually a great way for sales people to learn (the training they get obviously isn't cutting it). As a customer I've got pretty good patience for ignorance, but absolutely non for laziness or dishonesty.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ericdewayne
I wanted to check out the 4 drs, as i havent seen the inside of one yet. i drove my 2dr jk up to the local jeep stealership and asked the first guy i saw if I could look at one of the new JK's. He said "son I dont even understand what you mean" Then i had to explain to him that JK is the identifier for the 2007 Wrangler. He still didnt understand what i meant but took me to look at a 2 dr cause I wanted to look at the half doors on it. Mine was parked right next to it. The guy saw it and said "well looks like you're a jeep man yourself, just like me. You looking to trade that one in on one of the '07's. It looks fairly new, I could get you a good deal on a trade in." Mine IS an 07!! What an idiot! The guy then went on to tell me how the 4.0 was such an awesome engine. How solid it was yadda yadda yadda... "I thought the new ones had the 3.8, and not the 4.0 anymore" "No I dont think they're ever going to get rid of the 4.0, son" WOW! I just left after that.
You definitely should have let him quote you a trade in price. Eventually he must have realized that you had an 07 and just cought him being an idiot.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:02 PM
JK Freak

I got one too...

about a month ago my dealer tried to tell me that the hold up on my RUBICON was that GOODYEAR tires was on strike so they (DC) could'nt get the tires for my RUBICON.....so after telling my dealer and sales manager about how the rubicons DON'T come with Goodyears they said they'd check on the what the hold up is from there DC rep. so here is the good part a diffrent sales manager called me up the next day and left a message on my machine saying that the rep said it was the tires. I called my dealer up and told them not to call me anymore untill they get a shop date for my jeep. freekin morons, totaly pissed me off they showed they know nothing about the jeep they are selling me and then lied more than once about it.....
Old 01-07-2007, 07:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I can't speak for all of them, but for the price most of us want to buy the vehicle for (invoice) the salespeople get paid $50. How many would you have to sell to make a living at that commission? How many professionals would stay on the job at that wage? Most of the good ones have moved on to luxury highline car dealerships (Lexus, Mercedes).
Old 01-08-2007, 03:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cost

Was there a price increase on the JK on the first?

All of the accessories went up.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:07 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think there is a high turn over in car salesman in general. On top of that Jeep Wrangler has so many options it would be unrealistic to think a short time guy would learn them all. You would have to be lucky enough to find one that has been around for a while, probably a fleet guy, or even better yet a jeeper himself. I believe Jeff is both of these which makes him well ahead of most. On top of that, he reads the forums, probably the best source of training.

Most of us would be happy with a guy that just admitted he wasn't sure but he would check it out. Problem is he would just check with some other bulls**t salesperson and probably still come up wrong!

My sales/fleet guy has been around for a while, didn't know everything but didn't pretend to either. He was polite, honest, and new the ins and outs on ordering/deliveries of DC in general. He check online daily on his orders, and called me when there were changes in status. He even tracked the train each day to tell me what city it was in. I doubt he did this for everyone, but knew it mattered to me, so he did it. It was a great buying experience.

Quick Reply: WHY are most Jeep dealers so just plain ol' dumb?!