Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

will a 2018 hard top fit my 2007 jeep wrangler

Old 09-10-2018, 11:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will a 2018 hard top fit my 2007 jeep wrangler

I am trying to buy a hard top and have found a 2018 will it fit a 2007
Old 09-18-2018, 10:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The back half of it will fit (I think) but IIRC the center footman loop got moved a few inched to the left in 09 (I think) and the pins for the freedom panels are in different places from the earlier JKs to the later ones.

Easy solution is to buy the hardtop and then get a Sunrider from Bestop!

Last edited by MountainWhisky; 09-18-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

It will fit.

In 2007 and 2008 models, the footman loop in the center of the windshield frame is in a different location than later models. The Freedom panels for these early models lacked an additional locking lever added in 2009 to prevent wind noise and water leaks in the leading edge.

You could run it as is, or move the footman loop over to the left and utilize the new model front latch.

There is a kit from Mopar to accomplish this that includes a new plastic trim, or you can remove the right fastener on the loop, swing the loop over to the left, and drill and install a new fastener.
Here's the kit from Mopar.
Old 01-16-2022, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 JL is not lining up on a 2007

Originally Posted by jdinny
It will fit.

In 2007 and 2008 models, the footman loop in the center of the windshield frame is in a different location than later models. The Freedom panels for these early models lacked an additional locking lever added in 2009 to prevent wind noise and water leaks in the leading edge.

You could run it as is, or move the footman loop over to the left and utilize the new model front latch.

There is a kit from Mopar to accomplish this that includes a new plastic trim, or you can remove the right fastener on the loop, swing the loop over to the left, and drill and install a new fastener.
Here's the kit from Mopar.
I bought a 2018 JL hardtop and it is not lining up. The bolts at the front of the rear top are lining up but the front is about 2” short. I can’t move it forward any more or the rear doors won’t shut. The back half is about 2” low which would need some sort of shim and the spare is against the rear wiper. Thoughts?

Slid forward as far as the doors will allow and still shut. Also have to shim up to be high enough for the top of the door to clear.

Short of aligning with the front with it lining up with the bolt holes.

Spare is against the wiper.

Old 01-16-2022, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bhoward@messer.com
I bought a 2018 JL hardtop and it is not lining up. The bolts at the front of the rear top are lining up but the front is about 2” short. I can’t move it forward any more or the rear doors won’t shut. The back half is about 2” low which would need some sort of shim and the spare is against the rear wiper. Thoughts?

Slid forward as far as the doors will allow and still shut. Also have to shim up to be high enough for the top of the door to clear.

Short of aligning with the front with it lining up with the bolt holes.

Spare is against the wiper.
Welcome to the forum. JK and JL are two different Jeeps. 2018 was the last year of the JK and the first of the JL. Sell the JL one and find one for a JK which is what you have.

Quick Reply: will a 2018 hard top fit my 2007 jeep wrangler