Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Will It Fit In My Garage?

Old 11-07-2007, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will It Fit In My Garage?

We'll be running our Jeep mostly with the top off. For security reasons, then, it will get the single stall space in our garage.

I was comparing the Wrangler 2-door's dimensions (as published in the Jeep brochure) with those of the garage's current occupant - a 2007 Subaru Forester. Surprisingly, the Jeep is a couple of inches shorter than the Subaru. But it is TEN INCHES wider! Stock!

Gonna be tight. . . .

Old 11-07-2007, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Better take the doors off so you are not banging them against the wall all day long. They'll fit in that extra 10" of space you have in the back.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jkinva
Better take the doors off so you are not banging them against the wall all day long. They'll fit in that extra 10" of space you have in the back.
Good advice.

By the way, for those of you who happen to be standing in your empty garage, waiting for your Jeep to arrive and with a tape measure in your hand . . . those published overall dimensions follow:

WRANGLER 2-DOOR

height = 72.4"
width = 73.7"
length = 163.8 "

WRANGLER 4-DOOR UNLIMITED

height = 72.3"
width = 73.9"
length = 184.4"

Duane Behrens ("Perzuki")
Old 11-08-2007, 03:23 PM
JK Freak

I would suggest using 4 LOW to park it on top of the Forestor.
depending on your aproach angle, you may need to start from the front end of the Forestor
Old 11-10-2007, 05:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by capt scotty
I would suggest using 4 LOW to park it on top of the Forestor. depending on your aproach angle, you may need to start from the front end of the Forestor
Good advice - thanks!

I guess the point of all this is that the new JK is way wider than previous versions. This vehicle NEEDS bigger tires and wheels (and maybe a lift) just to look proportionally correct!

Yesterday, I approached a brand-new stock JK from the rear as it toodled down the boulevard on its wide-wide body, it's low-low stock suspension, and its tiny-tiny stock rims and tires.

And it all just . . . . looked . . . . wrong.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by capt scotty
I would suggest using 4 LOW to park it on top of the Forestor. depending on your aproach angle, you may need to start from the front end of the Forestor
Of course, you'd have to catch that Forester first. Even our normally-aspirated Forester goes like STINK up a 3-mile, paved 6% grade. The Jeep? Well. Now that the stout 4.0 inline six is a mere memory (I still miss my Cherokee six-cylinder), the Jeep probably will not.

Now - I know that asphalt ass-hauling is not the Jeep's mission in this world . . . but for ITS purpose, the Subaru Forester, with its AWD and incredible Porsche-supplied power and handling . . . it has NOTHING to be ashamed of. We ordered ours with the five-speed manual transmission, and this is a car that I really enjoy driving - a car my wife feels absolutely safe in on our winter, snow-packed roads. I'd buy another one tomorrow.

Just an opinion, shared by virtually every other Soobie owner I've ever met. And in the unlikely event she ever DOES wind up in the ditch, the Jeep will have a tow rope stored in the boot.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:20 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Perzuki
We'll be running our Jeep mostly with the top off. For security reasons, then, it will get the single stall space in our garage.

I was comparing the Wrangler 2-door's dimensions (as published in the Jeep brochure) with those of the garage's current occupant - a 2007 Subaru Forester. Surprisingly, the Jeep is a couple of inches shorter than the Subaru. But it is TEN INCHES wider! Stock!

Gonna be tight. . . .

I was worried about mine fitting in the garage too. It replaced a '95 YJ (much narrower) but the JK fits with no problem.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

But the real question is...will it still fit in the garage once it's lifted?

Mine doesn't and my garage was built a block higher than a standard garage.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:21 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Perzuki
Of course, you'd have to catch that Forester first. Even our normally-aspirated Forester goes like STINK up a 3-mile, paved 6% grade. The Jeep? Well. Now that the stout 4.0 inline six is a mere memory (I still miss my Cherokee six-cylinder), the Jeep probably will not.

Now - I know that asphalt ass-hauling is not the Jeep's mission in this world . . . but for ITS purpose, the Subaru Forester, with its AWD and incredible Porsche-supplied power and handling . . . it has NOTHING to be ashamed of. We ordered ours with the five-speed manual transmission, and this is a car that I really enjoy driving - a car my wife feels absolutely safe in on our winter, snow-packed roads. I'd buy another one tomorrow.

Just an opinion, shared by virtually every other Soobie owner I've ever met. And in the unlikely event she ever DOES wind up in the ditch, the Jeep will have a tow rope stored in the boot.

I understand your happiness with your forester. I owned a subarau Brat in the 80's that poor car went places it never should have. I hope you enjoy you JK. by the way, with 4:88 gears and 35 " Toyo's my JK ls much closer to a highway machine than when it was new. Of course thats what my Cayenne S is for. Happy Jeepin,

Last edited by capt scotty; 11-14-2007 at 01:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Will It Fit In My Garage?