Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Windshield defroster is a safety hazard

Old 01-08-2009, 04:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine works great! I haven't scraped my windows once this winter and It's parked outside. Just hit the remote start 10 minutes before I leave, dust off the snow and turn on the wipers. I also remember to turn my control to defrost when I get out so that's the mode it's in when remote starting.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a 12v lighter plug Fan
Old 01-08-2009, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chopur
Yes I have to agree with O.P. Try driving in a blizzard with slush from other drivers spraying the windshield! The wipers seem to do a half ass job and all that slush and windshield washer from clearing the windshield seem to build up in the edges about 3-4" and coat the wiper blades.

Besides that (and some small issues) I LOVE the JEEP!!!

Chop.
That pretty much captures it. Happened to me only once though I did have to pull over a few times and clear off the windshield and blades as the ice kept piling up.

Wondering if Rain-X De-Icer windshield washer fluid would help? Just don't see how it could as the blade pushes all the slush in that corner. Anyone ever try it?
Old 01-08-2009, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
-24C up here, plenty of snow...and I've had not problems with my defroster...something set a little different on Jeeps down south? Thermostat temps lower to keep engines running cooler??
I haven't had problems with the defroster keeping the outside of the windshield clear, though I've had to snap the ice off the wipers a couple times...I've had to do this at some point with all my vehicles so I think it's just something that comes with the winter.

I do have small issue with fog/frost forming on the inside of the glass on the driver's side though...I think this has a lot to do with me tracking a lot of snow into the Jeep, which then melts, fogs up the interior etc. I picked up a 12v defroster that takes care of the interior fog quite well, and I can probably aim it to get the ice off the wipers if I wanted too
Old 01-09-2009, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would think that those folks who live in areas whose temp is -24c would never have this issue.

It's really a moisture content in the snow, combined with exterior temp.

I've found that if it's above say 30f, it will keep the windshield pretty clear. Also when it gets cold enough snow doesn't have a high enough moisture content to cause problems. The issue really occurs between say 10-25f, snow can have a high moisture content, and the defrost doesn't keep it clear.

This scenario is pretty much life in WI, and I am about to resort to one of those plug-in units. Ironically, the last vehicle I saw that needed one of those was my dad's '74 CJ5
Old 01-09-2009, 06:30 AM
JK Junkie

On this general topic, I'm pretty impressed with the dash vents that direct hot air to your side windows... I was chiseling my JK out after an ice storm this week, and was warming up the Jeep with the defroster on, while I chipped ice off the windows. When I got up to the side windows (started in back), the ice was already melting enough that it was super-easy to scrape off.

To the OP's point, though, it would be nice if the defroster blew straight to the edges of the windshield, but I wonder if there's a good reason it doesn't... could be that the A-pillar would reflect the air right into the driver's eyes or something like that.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

OK, so where's the mod with pics?

Usually once you hit page 5 of a discussion like this, somebody's done a prototype and it's been refined once or twice with a materials list. The imagineers are slipping!

Seriously, I'm going to try and come up with something - maybe CPVC pipe? We've had a couple of storms already this year and I'm tired of reaching my hand out the window and banging off the drivers wiper, then stopping every half hour to scrape off the corner of the windshield.

I use the Jeep as a ski wagon and this blows. Or maybe it doesn't. All I know is that I haven't had a vehicle with this bad of a problem since my '78 Cherokee Chief. Hmmmn. Wonder if there's a connection...
Old 01-09-2009, 07:03 AM
JK Junkie

My issue isn't so much the defrost portion for me, but the fact that the wipers sit so low on the windshield relative to the defroster that they ice up pretty good that they tend to be useless. I guess in ice, sleet, and snow storms what sould I expect since I doubt most cars can keep up with the accumulation on the wipers while driving.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by glennco
I would think that those folks who live in areas whose temp is -24c would never have this issue.

It's really a moisture content in the snow, combined with exterior temp.

I've found that if it's above say 30f, it will keep the windshield pretty clear. Also when it gets cold enough snow doesn't have a high enough moisture content to cause problems. The issue really occurs between say 10-25f, snow can have a high moisture content, and the defrost doesn't keep it clear.

This scenario is pretty much life in WI, and I am about to resort to one of those plug-in units. Ironically, the last vehicle I saw that needed one of those was my dad's '74 CJ5
Ok, agreed, but we also go through freeze thaw cycles here, and two winters of this now and I have never had a complaint with my defrosters performance at all...no offense to the OP but invest in an ice scraper and snow brush?
Recently there have been a few complaints on this forum regarding our JK's centered around 'safety hazards' and what not...I'm sorry I just can't buy into that crap. What I do believe is that certain people have purchased these Jeeps and expect it to be a Lexus...soon they realize it's not, it's a Jeep. My thoughts? With the addition of the 4-door to the line in '07 it exposed the Jeep to another market of consumers that have a different level of expectations, many (including myself I will add) have never owned a Jeep before, some (not myself) have no intention of utlizing the Jeep for in my opinionit's intended purpose. Take for example the average soccer mom...and no offense to anyone here if they fit this profile, I'm not hating, just offering an observation and opinion...the soccer mom has no intention of EVER taking the Jeep off of tamed city streets, but they purchase the Rubicon SIMPLY because it's the top of the line model, costs more and they utilize this as a status symbol, they probably have NO idea what the funny buttons below the climate controls even do, and when they realize that certain functions of the Jeep don't perform as admirably as their Lexus or whatever did, they are upset and feel robbed, cursing the manufacturer and citing safety hazards...this is a HUGE generalization and steriotype however it illustrates my opinion...
...I will add that I am not trying to compare anyone especially the OP to the so called "soccer mom", I'm just using that as an example to illustrate where I believe certain peoples points of views and expectations have come from. I have yet to find ANYTHING on the Jeeps to lead me to belive anything is a "SAFETY HAZARD" and I take exception to the use of that title...and I've seen it a little to often lately....peace
Old 01-09-2009, 12:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
Ok, agreed, but we also go through freeze thaw cycles here, and two winters of this now and I have never had a complaint with my defrosters performance at all...no offense to the OP but invest in an ice scraper and snow brush?
If you haven't experienced the problem why would you even think of hacking on others that have?

Shouldn't a Jeep be able to handle the worst driving conditions?

The people experiencing this problem, myself included, are finding that the defroster system on our JK's is lacking during rough driving conditions- NOT a quality I consider to be a Wrangler Standard.

If you don't find a half frozen over windshield a driving hazard, good for you. I beg to differ, and that doesn't make me any less of a Wrangler enthusiast than you.

Quick Reply: Windshield defroster is a safety hazard