Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Windshield defroster is a safety hazard

Old 12-22-2008, 03:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Windshield defroster is a safety hazard

2nd Iowa winter in my 07 unlimited. The windshield defroster had to be field tested somewhere in Florida. It is as useless as mammary glands on a boar in an Iowa snow storm. 25% of the view is blocked by ice that has to be manually scraped, as the defroster will not touch it. Still love the vehicle but find this a royal PITA
Old 12-22-2008, 03:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. I don't understand the thought behind what they did. There is nothing I know of in the way of it extending 6 more inches towards the side.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wonder if this is an issue with the Unlimited. I have a 2Dr X and have not had any problems...it clears the windshield and side windows with no real effort.

Could it be a bad blower or switch that is directing the flow to the windshield?
Old 12-22-2008, 03:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRover
2nd Iowa winter in my 07 unlimited. The windshield defroster had to be field tested somewhere in Florida. It is as useless as mammary glands on a boar in an Iowa snow storm. 25% of the view is blocked by ice that has to be manually scraped, as the defroster will not touch it. Still love the vehicle but find this a royal PITA
I've never owned any vehicle that had a defroster that would melt ice from the entire windshield. Especially when the temperature is single digit.

That said, I'm satisfied with the defroster of the JK. Besides, I would rather scrape off the ice than wait till it melts. We just had two days of nearly continuous snow, followed by a very cold and windy night. I had no issues whatsoever.

My regards,

Widewing
Old 12-22-2008, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Park it in the garage...
Old 12-22-2008, 03:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Smiley88
I wonder if this is an issue with the Unlimited. I have a 2Dr X and have not had any problems...it clears the windshield and side windows with no real effort.

Could it be a bad blower or switch that is directing the flow to the windshield?
My 2dr 07 does it. My 4 dr 09 does it. If you look at the slot that the air comes through you will see it stops short about 6" either side from the side of the vehicle. This leaves a 2 foot circle in the corner that never defrosts.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree. It doesn't work very well. I just use a remote start and a scraper.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smiley88

mine works very well too
Old 12-22-2008, 04:18 PM
JK Junkie

No issues here. Before you laugh and think what winters, I do take it to the high country where single digits are common in the winter and I've never had an issue with the defroster.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Former Member

It is insufficient by design in either a 2 or 4 door model as they're both the same dash structure...but that said...it's a JEEP THING most people wouldn't understand

Great for clearing mist which could easily be solved by cranking open a couple of windows a crack but for sub zero temps

Quick Reply: Windshield defroster is a safety hazard