Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Windshield Removal & Repair

Old 06-18-2007, 03:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Windshield Removal & Repair

I recently got a ding in my windshield during a long roadtrip and had it filled a few days ago. Lo and behold the owner of the shop informed me of a design flaw with our new JK's that may eventually cause many of us some grief.

Most glass shops have a special cutting tool used to get underneath the windshield glass edges from the front to remove and replace the glass. However, the new design doesn't allow enough space for the glass tool - he contacted Chrysler and was told "tough luck". So the onus is now on the glass shops to remove your damaged windshield while painstakingly trying to not scratch the painted metal surfaces surrounding the entire windshield. Instead of cutting it out as usual, it will have to be mickeyed out with various brutal techniques.

Has anyone else heard of ingenious ways to get around this issue? Aside from not damaging your windshield!
Old 06-18-2007, 05:21 PM
JK Freak

2 guys and some piano wire?
Old 06-18-2007, 05:23 PM
JK Freak

If you don't mind me asking, does the windshield filling work when you have a small chip? What does that cost? I have a small rock hit that isn't going behind the roughly 1/4" area that chipped.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

It cost me 60$ CAD to get the 1/2" rock chip filled as my insurance company doesn't cover that unfortunately. The fill worked well and looks good, but leaves a small speck that looks like a bug splat - it's very small though, hardly noticable.

The glass company says that risk of spread (ie cracking) from such a rock chip is limited to about 5% if filled ASAP from the time of the ding.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK Maximus III
It cost me 60$ CAD to get the 1/2" rock chip filled as my insurance company doesn't cover that unfortunately. The fill worked well and looks good, but leaves a small speck that looks like a bug splat - it's very small though, hardly noticable.

The glass company says that risk of spread (ie cracking) from such a rock chip is limited to about 5% if filled ASAP from the time of the ding.
Hey, your from Vancouver too.

By any chance, is your name grant.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

Nada, try again.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Ok, I thought ive seen your JK around,,,,,,,,

Trending Topics

Old 06-20-2007, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

Well you may have, but me and a buddy bought almost identical JK's. There's a few out there, despite the insane waiting from the factory. I've seen three other identical JK's but I'm still getting wanting looks from ppl on the street and that's what counts!

I'll tell you this, there's nothing like pulling up to a stop light with the top and doors off and two hot girls wanting to jump in as they cross the street. JK Rules!

Old 06-20-2007, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Had my windshield replaced back in march. The guys had to take out all the interior plastic around the windshield to install the new one. The even had to remove my tweeters because they sat so close to the windshield. Don't know if anyone else had to do this but I told them go ahead so all my plastic didn't get messed up
Old 06-22-2007, 05:50 AM
JK Newbie

i'm on my 3rd windshield. i watched both replacements and the tech had little trouble getting the windshield out. it may have taken him a few extra passes with his cutting tool, but it finally came out without trouble. hopefully this windshield will last longer than the last one. 2 weeks!

Quick Reply: Windshield Removal & Repair