Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Windshield replacement Q

Old 11-26-2007, 06:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield replacement Q

I read a bunch of threads on peeps having their windshields replaced, but did not see the answer to my question.

I took my Heep to a GREAT local auto glass place for a new windshield. He had never done a JK and freaked at how close the window is to the the metal frame surrounding it. He showed me a few other vehicles that have some sort of molding around them to make removal easier (Durango, Caddy, and a few others). He ended up turning me away as he did now want to scratch the paint with his tools (because I told him if he did, he would have to repaint it, duh!). Another place I called did one JK and said he would not do anymore!!!! WTF!!!!! The usual dealer I goto doesn't even do them! They gave me the address of a shop that does though. Now I am just worried about it. Anyone else have experience? One shop mentioned plastic coated tools...

Edit* - crap I suk at splleing. Wont let me change titel.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:21 AM
JK Freak

Go to a more reputable place. My windshield was replaced without scratches. i am pretty sure, as I checked it over really good afterwards. They had already done a few JKs. The windshield glass is total shit. Get used to replacing it about once a year or so. If all else fails, have it done at your dealership (a deductible is a deductible). I could gone the dealer route but it was more convenient to do it at a glass shop near work.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:58 PM
dsp
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wife's JK just recieved a crack. I went online . It was 320 for replacement.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:20 PM
JK Freak

There is a whole thread on the price of windshield replacements.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Call your dealership and ask who they use, that's what I did and the guy came to my house. I am not really sure if he had ever done a Jk though, I didn't ask. But he did show me how the glass was a "floating" type and that scratches would be hard to avoid. He did a good job and did most of the cutting from the inside. He did put one very tiny gouge when the tool slipped and hit the window frame when he was applying downward pressure. Next time I probably wont get the oe glass. It is sad I am already thinking about the next windshield.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:32 PM
JK Freak

i have had mine replaced multiple times and repaired by safelite and they are awesome only use oem glass and not a single scratch and trust me i watch every move they make lol
Old 11-27-2007, 08:10 AM
JK Freak

Huh?

I had a pallet fly off of a truck on the freeway and smashed the corner of my windsheild and I had a local mobile glass place that a friend had used come out. He replaced it in about 45 minutes in my driveway. Cost $270.

No other problems with the glass...7000 miles now. Without having to do a search, why is everyone replacing their glass so often?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:57 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rabidranger
Edit* - crap I suk at splleing. Wont let me change titel.

spleling ok, titel chayngd. sawry abowt tha wyncheeled.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wink

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
spleling ok, titel chayngd. sawry abowt tha wyncheeled.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

Had mine replaced today. I had a rock fly up and hit the glass right around the drivers side of the glass. It only left a mark the size of a quarter but after a week it started to spread more and more so i called my insurance and they sent out Safelite. The guy called me this morning and said he would be there at 1, i said ok and tried to tell him how difficult it was going to be in my Jeep and that someone who really knew what they were doing needed to come and take their time. So needless to say around 2 the man showed up. He was really nice until he saw my jeep and just looked at it about 10 minutes before saying anything. I tried to explain to him how difficult it was going to be and how i didn't want any scratches. He was a nice guy and said he would def. take his time and do things the best he could. He cut the windshield out from the inside and ended up scratching the paint about 5 minutes into this right around the drivers side top corner. after that he started taking more time, the 15 minute job like he put it ended up taking 2 hours. I had to help ever step of the way to make sure he didn't screw anything else up. i made him write up in the paperwork that he scratched the jeep and they are going to pay for a bottle of touch up paint. it would just be to much of a pain in the ass for them to try and paint the whole piece, so i'm just hoping i can get by with using the touch up paint. My dad owns a body shop so i'm sure i can make it work. the guy had never done a jeep before, not sure that he wants to do one again either. Sucks, i just put 3k on the jeep and this is how it gets it first scratch. good luck to others out there who have to get theirs replaced in the future. i'm knocking on wood every chance i get that it wont happen to me again, but with my luck a plane will drop something on it tonight and it will be cracked in the morning....

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement Q