Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Windshield replacement Q

Old 11-28-2007, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:

Had the glass replaced this morning. Make sure you ask the place if they have done JK's before! The shop I just took it to used an ultrasonic tool to melt the sealer from OUTSIDE the glass. They didn't even scratch the paint UNDERNEATH the sealer! He mentioned it was a $10k tool and most shops won't spring for it due to cost and will just scratch the chit outta your windshield instead.

Chesterfield Auto glass for those near Shelby Twp Michigan did a FANTASTIC job.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:14 AM
JK Freak

Got another stone chip/crack in my windhsield - formed an asterisk and is about the size of a nickle or so. I tell you, this Mopar Safelite glass is total shit. That's two cracks in one month!!

I told my father (my insurance agent) after the first crack and that so many people are cracking their windshields (either due to the way the windshield sits in the frame or because the glass is junk). I asked him about my rates going up, as I could forsee more cracks in the future given how cheap the glass is. He said that while that is somewhat possible, it's also perhaps more likely that if the glass or installation design (no weatherstripping) is crap and the insurance company covers tons of windshield replacements, they could turn around and subrogate against Chrysler. While he's not an attorney, I am and that makes sense to me.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Dealer did mine

My JK developed a crack in the windshield for no reason at all. There was a TSB on it that the dealer didn't even know about. They replaced it under warranty for free. The paperwork said $425.00 was their cost.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:45 AM
JK Freak

Wow! I never saw that TSB.

http://project-jk.com/images/tsb/TSB_23-047-06.pdf

Damn, even the Viper!! Holy crap! DCX needs some better glass like pronto. I was pretty sure that my first crack was stress or design related. I could have saved an insurance claim. Doh!! This second one was definitely caused by an impact.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:21 AM
dsp
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rabidranger
Update:

Had the glass replaced this morning. Make sure you ask the place if they have done JK's before! The shop I just took it to used an ultrasonic tool to melt the sealer from OUTSIDE the glass. They didn't even scratch the paint UNDERNEATH the sealer! He mentioned it was a $10k tool and most shops won't spring for it due to cost and will just scratch the chit outta your windshield instead.

Chesterfield Auto glass for those near Shelby Twp Michigan did a FANTASTIC job.

when the crack in the Wifes JK spreads further I will take it there. How much did they charge?
Old 11-30-2007, 10:12 AM
JK Freak

$475 for MOPAR (installed). I had a zero deductible, though, so I didn't shop around. I'll be getting my second new windshield in less than one month next week.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:13 AM
JK Freak

Vos Glass on Scribner in GR. Not a single scratch and they've done JKs before mine.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:11 AM
JK Freak

i called a local guy who goes by independant auto glass. he came to me, changed the glass in about twenty minutes. replaced it with a PPG windshield which is made in the USA and the same quality as mopar... he told me they're all the same quality really, they all only meet the minimum requirement and thats it. anyway, no scratches, went really quick, no problems. and it only cost me $260.00 installed. He even left me a can of that foamy spray glass cleaner stuff that doesn't streak. anyway, if anyone lives in the northeastern ohio area and needs a new Windshield, i recommend looking him up and giving him a call. the only way i could have been happier was if someone offered a thicker glass, but they don't. Oh well.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:22 AM
JK Freak

Yeah, I don't necessarily have to have mine say MOPAR. If ANYONE made a thicker glass than the Safelite crap, I'd have it installed. Wonder how much a bullet proof windshield would cost. That'd be bad ass!
Old 11-30-2007, 11:24 AM
JK Freak

I was hoping the same, that there was a thicker glass option out there, but at least the guy i used told me there isn't. if you find one, please let us know about it

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement Q