Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

wobble at 55-65 only

Old 11-03-2014, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wobble at 55-65 only

I have a 07 Sahara Unlimited and I am getting a wobble, mainly noticeable through the steering wheel, only around 55mph to 65 mph almost on the dot between those speeds. What's the first thing to check to fix this? I know it could be a number of issues, just hoping someone could help narrow it down a little for me. Oh and this vehicle is bone stock as of now.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

If the 'wobble' is speed specific, 1st have the tires balanced. 90% of the time that will cure the issue. They will also be able to tell you if your tire is too far outside limits to balance. Downside to that is you will need to purchase another tire to replace it or use your spare.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This seems very common- I read countess threads on this. I have this as well but I Just rotated my tires and it went away. So annoying
Old 11-03-2014, 07:48 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I'll rotate them tomorrow then go have the balance checked.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:04 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Good idea to try the tires first--check pressures and rotate, see if problem changes. I wouldn't pay anyone the typical going rate to balance the tires, however, before checking a few other free things that can cause this (and most especially if your '07 has typical mileage for that year):
  • Uneven tire wear (if so, check the shocks)
  • Gunk on a wheel (mud from off-roading?)
  • Tie rod ends
  • Drag link ends
  • Ball joints

If after making those free checks you still have the problem, then consider paying someone to balance the tires. When mine started doing exactly as you describe, it turned out to be the ball joints.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:11 PM
JK Newbie

Right on. Thanks again for the info!
Old 11-04-2014, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check your tires for out of balance/out of round....IMMEDIATELY. Then check out the thread from Planman on diagnosing death wobble and follow ALL the steps thoroughly.

I had that same vibration but didn't worry about it, after a wheeling trip it exploded into full on death wobble any time I got over 35mph...and I had to drive 100+miles to get home.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:22 AM
JK Newbie

Default check your brake rotors also.

I had the wobble/vibration in my 2008 JK for couple years...
I had my brakes (pad and rotors) replaced and that wobble/vibration went away and my jeep rides really smooth now especially with the new MT ATZ P3's on her... after having my old MT 33's rotated and balanced at least 4 times to try to get the annoying wobble out of there.

If you ever had to get hard on your brakes to slow and/or had them overheat (going down thru mountains etc.)... that is enough to cause a slight rotor warp. I had mine overheat going thru the Smokey Mountains heading to Gatlinburg, TN. and that wobble started after that trip. Replaced brake pads and not the rotors cause the rotors looked fine (no grooves) and smooth during that span and still had the vibration and slight wobble until I replaced all.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Black Sunshine; 11-06-2014 at 04:33 AM.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:46 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks everyone. Well I diagnosed that I'm either blind or an idiot, lol. After much crawling around under my jeep, boom there it was. Driver side front tire was somehow missing it's wheel weight. Not sure if it fell off or what, but swapped my spare out (which I rotate regularly with the other tires) and wobble is GONE! Booyah. The brake issues has me intrigued though. I've notice a little brake squeal lately, so I will change pads ASAP! Thanks again for the advice and info everyone!
Old 11-09-2014, 11:13 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by theONLYbigHEAD
Thanks everyone. Well I diagnosed that I'm either blind or an idiot, lol. After much crawling around under my jeep, boom there it was. Driver side front tire was somehow missing it's wheel weight. Not sure if it fell off or what, but swapped my spare out (which I rotate regularly with the other tires) and wobble is GONE! Booyah. The brake issues has me intrigued though. I've notice a little brake squeal lately, so I will change pads ASAP! Thanks again for the advice and info everyone!
Cool! As for brake squeal, if the pads aren't worn you might try a little of the brake pad grease first on each one.

Amazon.com: CRC Disc Brake Quiet 05016, 4 Fl Oz: Automotive

Quick Reply: wobble at 55-65 only