Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wrong Way Turn Signal

Old 01-16-2013, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Wrong Way Turn Signal

I've searched the forums and have not seen anyone report this weird problem I'm having.

Sometimes when I turn on the right turn signal, the left one will come on momentarily, then the right one comes on and blinks normally. I first noticed it while using the "momentary three-blink" feature. I lift the control to activate the right signal and the left one blinks three times!! The first time I noticed it, I didn't believe what I was seeing. Now that I'm watching it, I see it happen quite often. I've had to stop using the three-blink feature because of this. Has anyone else experienced this? Of course it happened after the warranty expired.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal

Originally Posted by amok
I've searched the forums and have not seen anyone report this weird problem I'm having.

Sometimes when I turn on the right turn signal, the left one will come on momentarily, then the right one comes on and blinks normally. I first noticed it while using the "momentary three-blink" feature. I lift the control to activate the right signal and the left one blinks three times!! The first time I noticed it, I didn't believe what I was seeing. Now that I'm watching it, I see it happen quite often. I've had to stop using the three-blink feature because of this. Has anyone else experienced this? Of course it happened after the warranty expired.

All I can say is you're not alone. Every now and then my turn signal goes temporarily berserk for no apparent reason that I can see, but I believe you've nailed the description at least. Drives me nuts when it happens.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:07 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

See if it's associated with letting the lever snap back after you move it to the momentary position. Sometimes it will go to the other momentary position if it snaps back too hard.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
See if it's associated with letting the lever snap back after you move it to the momentary position. Sometimes it will go to the other momentary position if it snaps back too hard.
Thanks for the idea, but it happens before I even let go of the lever. Even when I lift it all the way to lock the right signal on, it will occasionally light the left light for a split second and then start blinking the right signal.

If it was a PC I'd re-boot it to see if that helped, but I don't know how to do that to a JK.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:00 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Thanks for the idea, but it happens before I even let go of the lever. Even when I lift it all the way to lock the right signal on, it will occasionally light the left light for a split second and then start blinking the right signal.

If it was a PC I'd re-boot it to see if that helped, but I don't know how to do that to a JK.
Disconnect the battery negative terminal for a few minutes.
That's the closest thing to a re-boot you can do, and it actually works for a lot of strange behaviors.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's the closest thing to a re-boot you can do, and it actually works for a lot of strange behaviors.
Thanks, I'll try it this evening and post up the result.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, I'll try it this evening and post up the result.
That's a safety issue, I'd try to replicate it in front of a dealer before trying Ron's suggestion. Especially if you're in warranty.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Tried this last night. Left it unconnected for 15 minutes. Happened again this morning.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My jeep sometimes won't let me turn off the blinker. I have to turn the left then right blinker on a couple of times then it will turn off
Old 01-17-2013, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it actually illuminate the exterior lights or just the light in the cluster?

Quick Reply: Wrong Way Turn Signal