Notices
Western Canada If you live in the British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Yukon, North West Territories or Nunavut area of Canada and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

BC Motor Vehicle Act & Regulations

Old 11-19-2010, 09:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smith
Well just giving you all a heads up... they are out in force now looking for door-less Jeeps. Was going to work on Tuesday morning in MR, turned a corner and there was a seat belt check. Officer pulled me over and took my license and registration then noticed I was only two blocks from home. He was really nice and said "either you put your doors on in the next hour or I fine you" and he knew the MVA act since I asked what section I was breaking... can you guess what I did? Just to make sure I returned he held my DL. He even stopped traffic so I could pull a U-turn. Put them on in 25mins (hauled them down three flights of stairs) and he let me off the hook. If anyone knows about my Jeep I even have the mirror relocation kits so they wouldn't complain about that. Just a little warning for all you BC folks without doors.
I had almost the same thing happen to me. I have toob doors now and so far I have been ok
Old 05-08-2011, 01:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs down Welcome to BC

The new regs.

Section 8 - body c) height Note: OEM location will be the frame rails.
i) passenger car
B) (yes the Jeep falls in this claification)
Reject If: centre of bumpers not between 16" and 20"
A stock OEM Rubicon has a 20" bumper height ANY lift will fail.

or section 2 - suspenion - vehicle modiification or components not not safe for on highway use. (so unless you have a engineers report it will fail)

Extra bits...
Any extra exaust noise will fail if above an OEM decibal reading only.
Any tire uncovered will fail, Mudflaps must be 14" height
Any bumper narrower than OEM will fail.
If you drive off a road you maybe subjeted to a fine.

Welcome to BC... six Jeeps hit last week.
So much for being covered by insurance.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MountainJK
The new regs.

Section 8 - body c) height Note: OEM location will be the frame rails.
i) passenger car
B) (yes the Jeep falls in this claification)
Reject If: centre of bumpers not between 16" and 20"
A stock OEM Rubicon has a 20" bumper height ANY lift will fail.

or section 2 - suspenion - vehicle modiification or components not not safe for on highway use. (so unless you have a engineers report it will fail)

Extra bits...
Any extra exaust noise will fail if above an OEM decibal reading only.
Any tire uncovered will fail, Mudflaps must be 14" height
Any bumper narrower than OEM will fail.
If you drive off a road you maybe subjeted to a fine.

Welcome to BC... six Jeeps hit last week.
So much for being covered by insurance.
Where did you find this? I can't see these sections in the Motor Vehicle Act or it's Regs....

Or are these specifications on the inspection checklist?

Please provide a link if you can.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Vehicle Safety and Inspection Standards

http://www.vsis.ca/nxt/gateway.dll?f...LEZE:cvim_view

you must have a login
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bumper.png
Views:	276
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	158487   Click image for larger version

Name:	mudflaps.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	158488  
Old 05-08-2011, 03:03 PM
JK Freak

Let me look into it.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Smith
Well just giving you all a heads up... they are out in force now looking for door-less Jeeps. Was going to work on Tuesday morning in MR, turned a corner and there was a seat belt check. Officer pulled me over and took my license and registration then noticed I was only two blocks from home. He was really nice and said "either you put your doors on in the next hour or I fine you" and he knew the MVA act since I asked what section I was breaking... can you guess what I did? Just to make sure I returned he held my DL. He even stopped traffic so I could pull a U-turn. Put them on in 25mins (hauled them down three flights of stairs) and he let me off the hook. If anyone knows about my Jeep I even have the mirror relocation kits so they wouldn't complain about that. Just a little warning for all you BC folks without doors.
This happened to me last summer when I went through a roadblock in parksville. They gave me a verbal warning and told me to go put the doors on. I now run with tube doors. I haven't tested the tube doors through a road block yet though.

It's such a stupid law when you consider they allow motorcycles on the road and they don't have doors.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dragginbody
... what about garbage men...no doors on those things
if the garbage truck came that way then it's ok. If they took the doors off then it isn't.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:28 PM
JK Freak

I got a warning for no plate on my front, due to being in the middle of a stubby build, and was told that it is twice the fine to have the plate displayed in the window. To my understanding the plate just has to be clearly visible on the from the front of the vehicle, am I wrong?? So confused:/.

Attachment of number plates
3.011 Number plates issued for a vehicle under the Commercial Transport Act or Motor Vehicle Act must be attached
(a) one plate to the front and one plate to the rear of the vehicle, if 2 number plates are issued for a vehicle, and
(b) to the rear of the vehicle, if a single number plate is issued for a vehicle.
[en. B.C. Reg. 279/2006.]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2352335938.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	174966  

Last edited by Lancejk; 06-24-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:30 PM
JK Freak

Does anyone know if stingers are illegal in bc. Thanks
Old 08-05-2011, 02:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Lancejk
I got a warning for no plate on my front, due to being in the middle of a stubby build, and was told that it is twice the fine to have the plate displayed in the window. To my understanding the plate just has to be clearly visible on the from the front of the vehicle, am I wrong?? So confused:/.

Attachment of number plates
3.011 Number plates issued for a vehicle under the Commercial Transport Act or Motor Vehicle Act must be attached
(a) one plate to the front and one plate to the rear of the vehicle, if 2 number plates are issued for a vehicle, and
(b) to the rear of the vehicle, if a single number plate is issued for a vehicle.
[en. B.C. Reg. 279/2006.]
You could get dinged for Impropperly displayed plate and for Obstructed plate where if just failed to display it there is only one fine. But I'll be the first one to say that anyone dinging you for both is pushing it (Double Jeopardy).

Quick Reply: BC Motor Vehicle Act & Regulations