Notices
Western Canada If you live in the British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, Yukon, North West Territories or Nunavut area of Canada and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

BC Motor Vehicle Act & Regulations

Old 01-11-2010, 12:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BC Motor Vehicle Act & Regulations

LINKS TO THE BC MVA and REGS:

Motor Vehicle Act

Motor Vehicle Act Regulations

Last edited by wayoflife; 06-29-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is what I found!!!!!

The headlamps must be mounted at a height of not less than 56 cm and not more than 1.37 m.

A motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer on a highway must be equipped with 2 stop lamps, mounted on the rear of the motor vehicle (says nothing about needing that 3rd brake light)

Despite section 4.04 (2) (c), a vehicle equipped with off-road lamps when on a highway must have the off-road lamps concealed with opaque covers.

Doors shall be installed in a vehicle where the vehicle was manufactured with doors.

A motor vehicle, except a motorcycle, shall be equipped with a front bumper, and where a replacement bumper has been installed, it shall give substantially the same protection as the bumper originally installed by the manufacturer.

A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a rear bumper where the manufacturer of the vehicle installed a bumper, and where a replacement bumper has been installed, it shall give substantially the same protection as the original bumper.

A bumper shall be securely fastened to the vehicle, and the bumper bar or brackets shall not be broken, loose or missing.

A bumper must not have a sharp or ragged edge and must not protrude beyond the side of the vehicle.

Every motor vehicle, trailer and semitrailer not constructed so that the spray and splash of water and mud to the rear of the vehicle is minimized shall be equipped with mudguards and, if necessary, mudflaps.

Cannot find out how far your tires can stick out??? Let me know if you find this one???
Old 01-12-2010, 08:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by metaulic
Here is what I found!!!!!

The headlamps must be mounted at a height of not less than 56 cm and not more than 1.37 m.

A motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer on a highway must be equipped with 2 stop lamps, mounted on the rear of the motor vehicle (says nothing about needing that 3rd brake light)

Despite section 4.04 (2) (c), a vehicle equipped with off-road lamps when on a highway must have the off-road lamps concealed with opaque covers.

Doors shall be installed in a vehicle where the vehicle was manufactured with doors.

A motor vehicle, except a motorcycle, shall be equipped with a front bumper, and where a replacement bumper has been installed, it shall give substantially the same protection as the bumper originally installed by the manufacturer.

A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a rear bumper where the manufacturer of the vehicle installed a bumper, and where a replacement bumper has been installed, it shall give substantially the same protection as the original bumper.

A bumper shall be securely fastened to the vehicle, and the bumper bar or brackets shall not be broken, loose or missing.

A bumper must not have a sharp or ragged edge and must not protrude beyond the side of the vehicle.

Every motor vehicle, trailer and semitrailer not constructed so that the spray and splash of water and mud to the rear of the vehicle is minimized shall be equipped with mudguards and, if necessary, mudflaps.

Cannot find out how far your tires can stick out??? Let me know if you find this one???
Well can you say that you could not afford another $1000 for doors and go doorless? Good find by the way... still awaiting the tires sticking out.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Smith
Well can you say that you could not afford another $1000 for doors and go doorless? Good find by the way... still awaiting the tires sticking out.
Mudguards
7.06 Every motor vehicle, trailer and semitrailer not constructed so that the spray and splash of water and mud to the rear of the vehicle is minimized shall be equipped with mudguards and, if necessary, mudflaps.

MUD FLAPS, FENDERS, FENDER FLARES are all considered the same thing under this act. The tire must be completely covered in order to "minimize the spray and splash of water and mud to the rear of the vehicle " or must have substantially the same protection as stock.

Last edited by Little Fella; 01-15-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:26 PM
JK Freak

Shhhhhhhhhhhh....... Don't want any cops to find out........
Old 01-20-2010, 02:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Shortbuss
Crap, cops could give me a hard time about my shrockworks bumpers. And being doorless
You may be OK with your bumpers. I believe where replacement bumpers are used the must offer "substantially the same protection" and that is the only stipulation. If you did get a ticket you'd have a helluva argument in court being that the stock ones crumple like empty beer cans.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:09 PM
JK Freak

BUMP! For everyone who's been asking questions
Old 08-01-2010, 11:20 PM
JK Newbie

Well just giving you all a heads up... they are out in force now looking for door-less Jeeps. Was going to work on Tuesday morning in MR, turned a corner and there was a seat belt check. Officer pulled me over and took my license and registration then noticed I was only two blocks from home. He was really nice and said "either you put your doors on in the next hour or I fine you" and he knew the MVA act since I asked what section I was breaking... can you guess what I did? Just to make sure I returned he held my DL. He even stopped traffic so I could pull a U-turn. Put them on in 25mins (hauled them down three flights of stairs) and he let me off the hook. If anyone knows about my Jeep I even have the mirror relocation kits so they wouldn't complain about that. Just a little warning for all you BC folks without doors.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

these are the same cops that can talk on their cell phones, speed and drink and drive! i just want to enjoy my jeep...

or what about garbage men...no doors on those things
Old 11-19-2010, 09:03 AM
JK Freak

I got a warning for this along with a ticket for not having my front plate bolted to the front bumper, west of Harrison lake. I had it attached to my winch with quick release clips for easy removal. Anyways...

The traffic officer showed me his notebook with the rules and regulations.

Tires are not to stick out past the fenders. Tire tred cannot be past the outside edge of the fender.

This is why my jeep is equipped with bushwacker fenders.

Quick Reply: BC Motor Vehicle Act & Regulations